• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

adding a user in Ubuntu 12.04

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

In Ubuntu 12.04 I entered in terminal mode the command

sudo adduser bucky

followed by

sudo passwd bucky

and then enter a simple 4 letter password, which Ubuntu asks me to repeat and I did.

But when I then try to log into that account, it accepts the password, the screen goes blank for about 5 seconds and then it returns to the password screen as if it wants the password again. If I type in the wrong password it immediately tells me its wrong.

Why can't I log into my new user name?

Thanks for your help.

...................SOLUTION FOUND.......................................

instead of "adduser" use "newuser"

Ubuntu will ask you for the password after setting up the proper files.

Last edited:
Can you take a screenshot of System > Administration > Users and Groups for us?
The Properties there for user bucky could possibly clue us in as well, when compared to the main user.

Can you take a screenshot of System > Administration > Users and Groups for us?
The Properties there for user bucky could possibly clue us in as well, when compared to the main user.

How do I take a screen shot in Ubuntu?

How do i get to system admin users ?

Print Screen.

Either the dash or the power cog should have a button to get to System.

System is a set of icons none of which are labeled administration, one is labeled users accounts but
it doesn't list properties beyond administrator for me and "standard" for bucky. ie: I need more help finding
administration etc

Try the command gnome-control-center and see if that pulls up the right window.

Weird indeed...

That's interesting, it makes me wonder if you've just hit a bug that people don't know how to fix.
Have you thought about using a newer version?

Weird indeed...

That's interesting, it makes me wonder if you've just hit a bug that people don't know how to fix.
Have you thought about using a newer version?

I just installed this version so I could fold properly on it and now I need to make accounts so my folding account is protected. I don't really want to install all that stuff again if I can help it.

I just installed this version so I could fold properly on it and now I need to make accounts so my folding account is protected. I don't really want to install all that stuff again if I can help it.

Out of curiosity, have you tried setting a blank password or resetting the password?

This thread seems to have some good things to try:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2145172

Can you ssh into the new account?

ssh bucky@localhost

the reply is:

ssh: connect to host localhost port 22: Connection refused

- - - Updated - - -

Out of curiosity, have you tried setting a blank password or resetting the password?

This thread seems to have some good things to try:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2145172

I can't make a blank password but if I change the password, it clearly is changed but still the same result, blank screen, few seconds, returns to ask for the password again

You need to check the logs... I am surprised no one has mentioned this.

I believe Ubuntu logs are /var/log/syslog.

Best way to do this is to either A) tail the file while attempting to log in or B) attempt to log in, then as your 'good' user go look at the last several entries and see what Ubuntu thinks is happening

You need to check the logs... I am surprised no one has mentioned this.

I believe Ubuntu logs are /var/log/syslog.

Best way to do this is to either A) tail the file while attempting to log in or B) attempt to log in, then as your 'good' user go look at the last several entries and see what Ubuntu thinks is happening

how do I open the log from the terminal?

It seems there are several logs called syslog.....specifically syslog.1 syslog.2 etc

Just FYI, ubuntu doesnt have ssh installed by default. I believe it calls the package openssh-server

- - - Updated - - -

how do I open the log from the terminal?

It seems there are several logs called syslog.....specifically syslog.1 syslog.2 etc

So from the terminal you can use: less, more, cat, vi, nano, tail etc

I prefer *less* when just reading. Use the arrow keys to scroll up and down (as well as home/end pgup/pgdown) and press 'q' when ready to quit.

As for the syslog.[1,2,3,4]. After a certain point the system rotates the logs (sometimes its time based sometimes its number of entries in a file). So for example you have a brand new system it writes to /var/logl/syslog. Say you configure it for 10,000 lines (for example). At 10,001 it renames syslog to syslog.1. When it reaches 20,001 it renames syslog.1 to syslog.2 and syslog to syslog.1.

Make sense?

So in your case, you only care about the most recent entries which will be in just syslog

There is no syslog just syslog.1 .2 etc

You need to be more specific please, I know almost nothing about Ubuntu and even less seems to work because its the wrong version etc.

By "less" do you mean typing sudo less /var/log/syslog.1 or something else?

Once I have this log, how do I show it to you?

There is no syslog just syslog.1 .2 etc

So to identify the last used file run

Code:
ls -lrt /var/log

This will sort the most recently used file to the bottom of your screen (so that you dont have to scroll. The syslog file which is nearest to the bottom is the one you would need to look at.

You need to be more specific please, I know almost nothing about Ubuntu and even less seems to work because its the wrong version etc.

By "less" do you mean typing sudo less /var/log/syslog.1 or something else?

That is correct *sudo less <file name>* will open the log file in less.

Once I have this log, how do I show it to you?

Do you have a desktop UI (I am assuming yes?) It doesnt matter which user reads the log file so long as they have sudo access. Therefore you should be able to copy from the terminal window, to the browser.

When you paste into the forum here, make sure that you use the
Code:
 tags or the [quote] tags in the "Go Advanced" options

I'm just working on another project, I will get back to this one late next week.

Back