• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build me a gaming PC that will last... im so outdated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
FWIW, I would trust a Gigabyte or ASRock board over any MSI board. They aren't what they used to be. It's worse on the AMD side of the fence, but I've heard of a lot of problems from their Intel boards also.

However, the Gaming 5 seems to be one of the better ones, so you may luck out. Just make sure to bench test it, and RMA through Newegg as fast as you can if you have problems.

Well read the reviews of the gigabyte boards... They all have bios issues and corruption and the sound goes bad after a few months.. Out of the 60 or 70 reviews of the MSI gaming board there are only like 5 bad reviews... I dunno I kinda wanted the gigabyte board at first but with 30 reviews of bios corruption and and not just on the gigabyte gaming but the others... I think ima stay away from it

Yeah, you need to get over some of that stuff man... seriously. You seem to read one thing about a board/card and poo poo it. Half the stuff you see can be user error. There is a reason you came here to ask for advice. Most of us here know what we are talking about. While you are not forced to follow it of course, it would be wise to heed our advice about things you are concerned about. :)

The bundles are the 4790K at $280 plus $40 off a board. That sounds like you save ~$90 (minus tax so $70, minus gas so $55) if you went there vs newegg. But..... that is water under the bridge now. :)

Excuse me but its my money not yours lol... If a large amount of reviews mention BIOS corruption on a specific motherboard would you honestly buy that ?? Over a motherboard that doesn't have that issue ? I may be a little outdated on computers in this day in age but I have been building them since I was 14.. Thats over 15 years now, And my decisions by going off research haven't led me astray yet.

Look at this board 45 4-5 star reviews.. and 21 1-2 star reviews That's TWENTY ONE bad reviews about the same issue... Would you seriously buy a board like that ? Im not going off 1 bad review and fretting over it.. Im look at the big picture

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...706&cm_re=gigabyte_z97-_-13-128-706-_-Product

Then look at another gigabyte board, same problems. Board isn't booting up, bios corruption.. Its wide spread on a big range of gigabyte boards.. Why would I want to waste my time taking a chance on that ? Also I just gave you the math.. Look at the 4790 Bundles on microcenter.. I don't want to low end Asrock motherboard if I get your Gigabyte board the budle is total 389$ for the cpu and motherboard.. The $40 is already taken out of that price.. SOOO 389$ plus 6% sales tax is $412, plus gas money is almost $430, OR I could just buy a 4790 and a motherboard I actually want for $450 on newegg and have it delivered to my door instead of driving an hour ina half and racking up the miles on my 17 year old Jeep to save myself $20.. What you are saying isn't logical at all.. I have better things to do with my time then drive 30 miles to save pennies

I appritiate all your help, and I did switch to a 290 based off what you guys said.. But again its my money in the end its my decision.. And frankly im kinda offended at your post.. As I said im a few years outdated but im not incompetent when it comes to buying products.. I do a lot of research on specific brands before I actually buy something.. I don't just go off what you guys tell me.. I'll take your advice and look at the product and if I don't like what I see ill pass.. I have been doing this for a very long time my friend

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Last edited:
Excuse me but its my money not yours lol... If a large amount of reviews mention BIOS corruption on a specific motherboard would you honestly buy that ?? Over a motherboard that doesn't have that issue ? I may be a little outdated on computers in this day in age but I have been building them since I was 14.. Thats over 15 years now, And my decisions by going off research haven't led me astray yet.

Look at this board 45 4-5 star reviews.. and 21 1-2 star reviews... Would you seriously buy a board like that ? Im not going off 1 bad review and fretting over it.. Im look at the big picture

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...706&cm_re=gigabyte_z97-_-13-128-706-_-Product

Then look at another gigabyte board, same problems. Board isn't booting up, bios corruption.. Its wide spread on a big range of gigabyte boards.. Why would I want to waste my time taking a chance on that ? Also I just gave you the math.. Look at the 4790 Bundles on microcenter.. I don't want to low end Asrock motherboard if I get your Gigabyte board the budle is total 389$ for the cpu and motherboard.. The $40 is already taken out of that price.. SOOO 389$ plus 6% sales tax is $412, plus gas money is almost $430, OR I could just buy a 4790 and a motherboard I actually want for $450 on newegg and have it delivered to my door instead of driving an hour ina half and racking up the miles on my 17 year old Jeep to save myself $20.. What you are saying isn't logical at all.. I have better things to do with my time then drive 30 miles to save pennies

I appritiate all your help, and I did switch to a 290 based off what you guys said.. But again its my money in the end its my decision.. And frankly im kinda offended at your post.. As I said im a few years outdated but im not incompetent when it comes to buying products.. I do a lot of research on specific brands before I actually buy something.. I don't just go off what you guys tell me.. I'll take your advice and look at the product and if I don't like what I see ill pass.. I have been doing this for a very long time my friend

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Excuse me but, was it not YOU that came HERE looking for help?
If you're unhappy with the help you're receiving, there is another alternative..........
GTFO
...just sayin.;)

Excuse me but asking for HELP doesn't mean I am immediately going to jump off the train to go buy something immediately without doing any kind of research...

I took advice, I got a R9 290, I got the EVGA power supply someone mentioned. I even bought the intel cpu someone mentioned.. BUT I DONT WANT A Flipping GIGABYE motherboard because its in a god damn bundle to save me a little bit of cash.. LOOK at the reviews of the board.

Geezus God you guys are anal.. And scotty go put your fist in your mouth for me please. Im not unhappy with the help... I have mentioned how appiritative I am 3 or 4 times and I have caught up with current tech because of this thread.. But two of you are getting so BUTT hurt because I don't want a gigabyte motherboard based on ALOT of bad reviews..

Go back on your meds please

A lot of these guys chiming in are professional reviewers. A lot of the times, reviews posted from the general public are based off ignorant fools that don't know much about computers, and typically are the very vocal minority. I've yet to see them suggest a product that won't perform well for a given task, in fact they typically go way off tangent and shove higher end products on other people (which is where I typically butt heads with them).

As for that specific board, I wouldn't have purchased it either. There were other choices that would have been fine from gigabyte though. Z97x gaming 7 board looks great for example. FWIW, I was looking at getting a 4790k myself, and the gaming 5 was my choice as well. Feature set and cost, as well as having a cool color scheme :). Reviews were favorable on it. Typically MSI motherboards haven't been well favored lately, and are typically not the first suggestion around here. You do appear to be jumping ship at the first sign of trouble; not a bad thing, just simply hard to recommend something that has never had an issue.

edit: you also seem to be grouping all the gigabyte boards together, why are you doing that? A gaming 7 is an entirely different echelon of product.

Also, that SSD... man you gotta stop focusing on questionable reviews. Hopefully you get what you ordered...

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6868/silicon-power-s60-240gb-ssd-review/index.html

Last edited:
Good lawd... lol!

I only meant to temper some of your thoughts on the reviews you have been bringing up so you can keep your options open. Remember THOUSANDS of each board are sold at new egg. The vast majority of people that are happy, don't post reviews. However those that have a broken part...very vocal crowd.

As was mentioned by someone, just because one [insert brand here] board may have had issues, doesn't mean another in their lineup does. Put another way, I wouldn't touch a Dodge because they are pieces of junk, UNLESS it was an SRT. Completely different and better built (motor and tranny). Similar concepts here with the parts on the boards.

I'm not butt hurt about any specific board you are or are not getting. I was simply trying to share with you there are other boards there that would suit your needs and the chance to save some money. And for the record, I'm the guy that talks down expensive products and suggests what what needs instead buying expensive parts. I'm a stickper on quality PSU though. ;)

Anyway, sorry if I managed to offend you. Hopefully we can ALL move forward past the fisting talk (this is a pg forum, lol, and I know your were baited into commenting like tbat) and other such agressive bantor. Please post up a pic of your build when you get it!

Just to be clear, NOBODY cares if you don't like Gigabyte. Everyone was merely stating that a GB combo with the CPU would have ended up being cheaper. By all means, buy whatever you want, and spend whatever you want on it. But you were the one who came here for help, so don't freak out when you see something that you don't like. As bob said, a lot of the people here are professional reviewers. That means that they actually put the things that they review through the paces. They don't post up reviews like "omg, the color scheme is 1337, buy this boardzzzz". If it's recommended here, it's because there is very few, if any, issues with it, and it's the best option in the price range for the purpose.

Earthdog it wasn't really you but more Scotty.. As for fisting, I thought the mouth was PG.. at least I didn't tell him to stick up where the sun don't shine... Telling me to GTFO I found my old account I joined this forum back in 2002.. I've been here for 13 years.. I just couldn't remember old login name.

Anyway, I got the system up and running, works great.. I haven't overclocked anything yet, and to make you guys happy I decided to get the gigabyte board I was able to change my order before newegg shipped it..

As for the SSD, im afraid I don't know anything about them so this bait and switch you linked.. what exactly is the "old " controller vs the new controller.. im confused

Earthdog it wasn't really you but more Scotty.. As for fisting, I thought the mouth was PG.. at least I didn't tell him to stick up where the sun don't shine... Telling me to GTFO I found my old account I joined this forum back in 2002.. I've been here for 13 years.. I just couldn't remember old login name.
4 days later and still not over it.
Glad I made such an impact.
Shouldn't you be standing on a ledge somewhere?

Ssd companies have been caught sending high quality units for review then after getting rave reviews, swapped to a much lower quality nand. Kingston, pny, ocz and others have been caught doing this.

Luckily, read speeds remain high (which is what let's yiu load programs fast), but the write speeds typically plummet to spinning hdd levels (which is absolute crap for copying or creating files).

Typically speaking, any ssd that advertises "up to" performance should be shied away from.

And this is why I stick to Samsung or Intel when I recommend SSD's.

Typically speaking, any ssd that advertises "up to" performance should be shied away from.
With respect, that is poor advice at best...don't they all do this?! If not all, it's much more common for SSD speed specs to use up to values. It's not until recently that sustained (write) speeds are coming into play, And even then, it's a secondary number versus the peak.

http://ocz.com/consumer/vector-180-sata-3-ssd
http://www.samsung.com/global/busin...ite/SSD/us/html/ssd850pro/specifications.html
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/solid-state-drives-750-series.html
http://www.kingston.com/us/hyperx/s...3HKNIpnTnA2L6okNtAWlXSauR6JIaAj0k8P8HAQ#shss3 (click on specs)
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/storage-ssd-mx200
http://www.corsair.com/en/ssd

Out of those major brands, I do not see ONE of them mention an average or NOT mention speeds 'up to/max/peak'. Again, its common, an industry standard if you will, to mention their speeds like that.

Here is a slide showing how write performance typically degrades over time. While you are essentially correct (it slows down quite a bit), its not until it wrote for almost 1.5 hours that it becomes 'as fast as a HDD'. Also note that for all drives, it took 30 minutes of writing before it significantly degraded below their specifications. How often are you saturating the drives bandwidth writing for over 30 mins? DL things wouldn't do it as you are limited to your internet bandwidth (A LOT slower than a HDD). Another point to note is that while the transfer rates may be a lot lower, the IOPS are still exponentially faster than a HDD. ;)

writes.jpg

And for the record, the nand/firmware swap, while shady, wasn't like you said. The bait and switch came out and several months later. Im sure there is some cherry picking in review samples, but IMO, this was not one of those cases because of the large span of time between release date and the swap.

Also, can you link up where OCZ and PNY have done this? I must have missed those. The Kingston thing was a HUGE issue and I do not recall any other company doing it.

Last edited:
Yup you're right, my bad. On newegg and other places, I've seen the "good" Ssds labeled at absolute read/write speeds, where the cheaper ones typically label as "up to" typically in IOPS. I always assumed that was a way to get uniformed buyers to purchase them.

Thanks for the links.. :p. Google turned up something on PNY, but nada on OCZ.

EDIT: You are talking about 4+ years ago on the Vertex 2? Got it. Water under the bridge there. Firmware corrected the performance issue, but the big thing was with the loss of capacity.

Last edited:
Well Im happy with the SSD I got.. Was only $80 for $240gb of storage. It says UP too on mine 550/500 but that's fine.. I couldn't afford anything more literally $20 would have been pushing it, I bought 2 120mm fans as well So far I have spent $1114 on this PC..

Now SSD's aside, my WD 640AAKS is an older blue drive with 16mb cache 7200 rpm.. Was the drive to get 7-8 years ago and I notice they still sell it lol.. But my storage capacity is low. Installing windows and a few games on my SSD I have like 160gb left on it, and my WD640 drive I didn't bother reformatting I have almost 600gb of data on it. Plus there is no need.. So yea my 640gb HDD is almost out of space prior to building this PC I had to keep removing things to free up space.

What do you guys recommend as a good internal HDD that isn't more then $100 or so give or take $20.

Im currently looking at the WD Black 1TB 64mb cache drive, it seems like an older HDD from 2010 but its only $70, and comes with dead rising 3 for free. But yea what would you guys recommend ? Thinking of moving my more important video games I still play onto the 1TB drive, and all my pics videos and other crap I don't use often keep on the 640gb drive I currently have.. That way I can use my SSD for current gen stuff, and the 1TB drive for in between stuff, and the 640gb since its the slowest as more a junk folder drive.. What do you guys think ? The main thing I like about the 1TB is just because of the price and the game offer.. Dead rising 3 is a $50 game Id actually like to play on my new system.

But to be honest ive never been that great when it comes to HDD's.. Ive never done raid or anything like that.. So would it actually hurt me to keep using the 640gb drive speed wise.. Or can I still use it along side the SSD and whatever other drive you guys recommend.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=1&cm_re=ppssGamingHDD-_-22-236-625-_-Product

Last edited:
Thanks for the links.. :p. Google turned up something on PNY, but nada on OCZ.

EDIT: You are talking about 4+ years ago on the Vertex 2? Got it. Water under the bridge there. Firmware corrected the performance issue, but the big thing was with the loss of capacity.

I was on my phone!

Back