• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build me a gaming PC that will last... im so outdated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cnaydmancangt

I cant even remember my name on this forum I used to have like 6 stars to my name lol I haven't been into computer in probably 8 years now or something like that.. I used to post like crazy on here overclocking 3dmark frying 9700pro video cards lol.. was fun... But anyway.. My last PC I ever built and overclocked I have been running for god it seems like probly 5-7+ years now.. I certainly got my money worth..

Currently I have

E8400 C2D @ 4400MHZ
4GB DDR2 PC800
Ati 4890OC 1GB
Asus or abit i cant remember P5Q-PRO mobo
Western digital 640AAKS
Antec truepower trio 650w

This was a more high end PC back then

But I find myself not being able to play any kind of video game anymore unless its like World of tanks of League of legends.. I wanted to try out Planetside 2 as I used to play planetside 1 for years back in the day but nope... I get like 10 fps and major stuttering.. Mainly a memory issue as the game maxes my memory usage at 4,000mb lol.. Seems most of my issues are memory related..

Anyway, I am severly outdated on computer knowledge and I don't think I really want to get back into hardcore overclocking with watercooling and using ice in buckets and so forth, but I also don't want something that is crap for overclocking, because I do want to overclock just nothing insaine.. Can you guys help me out ? I remember doing this for people back in the day building them computers and the tides have turned im completetly ignorant. I don't care if its AMD or Intel or Nvidia or ATI/AMD... I know Generally though AMD is still crap and their cards are good but probably not the best still.. So budget wise AMD all the way, but I want a PC that will last and blows mine away..

I don't want to spend anymore then $800 if I can... The PC above was around $800 and lasted me a very long time. I doubt I will be able to re-use my power supply as im sure the video card pins and motherboard pins have changed like they always do... I know my HDD is probably way outdated too. back before I stopped SSD'S were starting to come out and im sure they are perfected now right ?

Im keeping my LCD monitor It goes to 1680x1050 and that's all I really need.. Don't care about stupid crazy huge monitors.

Anyway, thanks guys

Last edited:
Considering he's into overclocking, Decent pperformance from the anyway, and an api change around the corner, here goes.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hMCvFT

If you need it under 800, drop the ssd, you can always easily add one later.

8320 - easy and fun to overclock the pee out of
Ext9 - solid board, great price
NH d14 - amazing cooler and on sale
Ram is ram for this kinda thing
850 evo and wd 1tb are pretty standard
RR9 290 - for your monitor this is laughably over powered... for today's gaming. Who's to say where it will be in 2+ years. Also, pcs+ are known to overclock well.

This is a build that should last you quite some time without any "were Gonna get you a cheap gpu and you can upgrade that later" kinda stuff.

Here you go!
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GMcPD3

I can explain more for you later when I'm on a computer instead of the forum app :)
This build + r9 290 + EVGA 650 GS PSU would be my choice. That puts you around $840 (after MIR) if my math is correct.

That said, both builds listed will be just fine, but the AMD build will give you a better GPU out of the gate. HOwever, seeing that you are running on such a low resolution, I think an Intel build with a higher end card would be more beneficial since the Intel instructions per clock are better than AMD CPUs and can help stretch the legs of that GPU a bit better (raises the glass ceiling). :)

This build + r9 290 + EVGA 650 GS PSU would be my choice. That puts you around $840 (after MIR) if my math is correct.

That said, both builds listed will be just fine, but the AMD build will give you a better GPU out of the gate. HOwever, seeing that you are running on such a low resolution, I think an Intel build with a higher end card would be more beneficial since the Intel instructions per clock are better than AMD CPUs and can help stretch the legs of that GPU a bit better (raises the glass ceiling). :)

Dx12 is the only reason I suggested the amd over an intel.

DX12 is in the cards (drivers) and OS, not the CPU. So AMD/Intel CPU would not matter in that light. The 750Ti will support DX12 with a driver update IIRC.

... did you mean NVIDIA instead of Intel?

Last edited:
Well im using windows 7, I don't like the interface of windows 8 or up and unless windows 10 has a similar interface to older versions of windows I wont upgrade.. They made everything too complicated.. Just getting to the control panel instead of 2 clicks you have to relearn the entire OS..

And I don't think windows 7 will support dx12

As for low resolution, eh 1680x1050 might be low but I simply don't care for 1080p or what not.. I don't like things being extremely small to where I cant even read chat in a video game or have to make words bigger to just read an article on the internet. Plus for more 1080 resolutions or higher youd need a crazy monitor with a good dot pitch... If that's still even exists.. I remember people buying these 24 inch monitor's back in the day but the dot pitch was something like .28 or high and thus they had the resolution but I literally can see every pixel on the screen.. So I opted for a smaller monitor with a 21" resolution but a very small dot pitch. So my picture is actually better.. We have two newer 55 inch LCD monitor's in the house.. One has such a big gap between the pixels the picture just looks grainy.. So I imagine if I were to upgrade my monitor to get one with a smaller pixel gap id need to shell out a lot of money

So judging from my resolution... wouldn't an Intel cpu be better ? Arent most games now reliant on cpu's more then the graphics card ?

Atminside: As for the Nvidia 750 video card recommendation isn't that a somewhat older lower end video card ?

Im kinda curious what pinouts do the video cards and motherboards of today use ? My Power Supply is by far underpowered its a 650w Trio Trupower so I have 3 rails of like 19A of 12v .. I believe the video card pin outs for it are 2 6 Pins power cords.. So would my power supply actually work ? Also the P5Q Pro is an LG775 board so my PSU is 24 pin main power and I think 4 or 8 pin for the other one..

Last edited:
You can very easily change the W8 interface (Classic Shell - its free). W10 is supposed to be more like W7. W7 will not support DX12, correct.

As far as the resolution and things being small, I hear you. There are ways around that too if you wanted. ;).

For your resolution, it being more CPU dependent and 'easy' on the GPU (meaning it will spit out more FPS there than 1080p or higher), you would want an Intel CPU to raise the glass ceiling. Overclocking will also help. All this depends on the game/settings too.

As far as games and what they rely on, that depends on the title and settings of the game. Most MMO's and RPG's are CPU dependent, while FPS/3PS are generally GPU heavy (always exceptions to both rules), but again, it depends on the game, settings, and resolution you play at.

750ti is slightly older... here is the story with that. It is using the latest Maxwell GPU core (in the 970/980, but its naming is last gen as that is when it was released. The 750ti will support DX12 with drivers and a proper OS anyway. If you are looking for something that you don't have to change ever, I would get a better GPU like the R9 290.

Hope that helps.

What about Power supplies... I had to make an edit... What are the pin outs of the current video cards and boards ? Im curious if my power supply would work for these then there wont be a need to spend $100+ on a new power supply.

edit: I just checked my PSU I have 1 8 pin Connector for the mobo, 1 24 pin, and 2 6 pin Graphics connectors.. If current boards and Video cards use this, then I don't need to upgrade the psu AM I right ?

Modern motherboards use a 24 pin (your psu may have 20+4 which is fine) and a CPU 8 pin (sometimes comes in 4+4).

Videocards still use the PCIe 6 pin or 8 pin.

If that PSU is a true multirail PSU, and being how old it is, I am not sure I would run the way more power hungry (and faster) R9 290 on it. Particularly with an FX CPU (and overclocking). I would run the 750Ti on it all day long no matter what CPU was on it.

A modern, quality 650W PSU is PLENTY of power for most any single GPU setup and overclocking these days, unless you are REALLY pushing both the AMD FX octo core CPUs and a really powerful (read 250W like R9 290/290x) GPU.

It would probably work, but wouldn't be recommended because of the age of the unit. Better to just get a new quality PSU than hope for the best with the old one.

As I suspected, it is not a true 3 rail as there is no OCP on the rails so any one of the 'rails' can support the PSU's rating...

In addition to all of this; I also couldn't find any circuitry beyond the traces that actually "divide" these rails. And on the load tester, I found that there actually is no OCP, so there is no 19A per 12V rail "limit" either. Just seems to be a single +12V rail PSU! Which actually isn't such a bad thing, but dammit! The label says I get three +12V rails and the PSU is called the "Trio" after all!

......Since we've effectively determined that all of these +12V leads terminate to essentially the same place, the next thing to do is to hit a single connector with a load greater than what it is rated for as per the label. To do this, I simply put a 50A load on the 8-pin EPS12V connector. If this connector were on a single +12V rail capable, via OCP limiter, of only 19A or even split up between two 19A rails, then the power supply should shut off. I did this and the PSU did not shut off. So the conclusion is that the Trio 650W does not have a 19A per rail limit, nor does it have three separate rails.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=1

If you decide to go FX octo core and R9 290, I would get a new PSU, period. If you go with Intel and 750Ti or even the R9 290, you could give it a whirl and it should be fine, however, a PSU would be my next upgrade regardless.

I wouldn't trust that PSU with a new build, personally. It's simply old.

Your lower resolution of 1680x1050 is why I recommended the 750Ti. It'll have plenty of vRAM and power to push current games at that res.

I've used one at 1080p and it actually held up quite well at that resolution as well.

I see no reason for a more powerful GPU currently since that'd only end up with you needing (much) more power

I've never been one to have the best graphics card anyway, Ive always had more of the medium/high end but not Ultra high.. I just do not want a low end graphics or cpu.. If I have too I'll spend more then $800 but I really don't want to go above 850-900.

I see the R9 270 but no 290 in that review.. but based on the 1600x resolution and the 270 vs 750 there is like a 13fps difference... That's pretty big when your in the 30's

Is 8GB of ram enough ? Because even lower end games like world of tanks.. with windows uses pretty much all 4gb of ram I have..

I just realized I messed up making my name.. lol It should be Candymancangt... I was so tired last night uhg lol...

Last edited:
No, 290 will support dx12, as will free windows 10 when it comes out. Dx12 supports true multithreaded gaming so IPC will be less important.

I've never been one to have the best graphics card anyway, Ive always had more of the medium/high end but not Ultra high.. I just do not want a low end graphics or cpu.. If I have too I'll spend more then $800 but I really don't want to go above 850-900

Is 8GB of ram enough ? Because even lower end games like world of tanks.. with windows uses pretty much all 4gb of ram I have..

I just realized I messed up making my name.. lol It should be Candymancangt... I was so tired last night uhg lol...

The 290 is grotesquely over powered for your intentions... right now. In 2-3 years it's likely the 290 will simply be "adequate". The 750ti is a good choice for you "right now", however it's likely to become obsolete much much quicker than the 290. Same with the i5. It's very superior to the amd right now for gaming. However, dx12 benchmarks are severely favoring more cores.

Basically right now, it's a very difficult time to make a choice. There's lot of big changes coming. New architectures for both intel and amd coming, big api changes, new gpu structures and hbm will change the game I think.

The best solution right now would be x99 if you wanted it to last a long time, but thats out of your budget by a large margin.

Last edited by a moderator:
290 and 750TI aren't even comparable though.
290 is more comparable with a 780 or titan atm.

Back