• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Corrosion?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nocure

Registered
Hey, I posted about this in another thread I started but I didn't get any reply. I was cleaning out my GPU blocks and I saw this on it:

DSC_0169.jpg

There's a little of this on the fins, just one or two small spots though. And there's some around the O-ring as well, mostly on what the picture shows though.

Do I need to get a new block? I have run most of the tubing in the system already. I don't know if I can just complete it and run with a block that looks like this safely..

Last edited:
If this is a copper block, soak it in tomato juice for an hour, rinse well with soap & water, dry it in an over set at about 180°F, and reinstall. Corrosion should be gone.

Hey, I posted about this in another thread I started but I didn't get any reply. I was cleaning out my GPU blocks and I saw this on it:

View attachment 163545

There's a little of this on the fins, just one or two small spots though. And there's some around the O-ring as well, mostly on what the picture shows though.

Do I need to get a new block? I have run most of the tubing in the system already. I don't know if I can just complete it and run with a block that looks like this safely..

Looks like normal stagnant zone corrosion of the Nickel. An anti corrosive should have helped prevent this. It is completely fine to keep using, all that will happen is the corrosion may get slightly worse over time, although its these areas that are more susceptible than others so what has occured so far may be as bad as it gets for some time. An Anti corrosive should help prevent it getting much worse.
Corrosion of Nickel cannot hurt any other parts of the system. If the block is not too old you should contact Aquacomp about a warranty replacement.

Last edited:
I see normal water doing it's job. Water absorbs molecules, it's the great equalizer. You don't have corrosion, you have lost the plating due to water's properties. It's possible that the plating was a bit thin in those spots. It's copper under the plating, and copper will discolor, so it's not a big deal and I'd keep using that block for years. I had blocks that did that, they were fine.

Alright, thanks a lot guys :) Put my mind at ease. Will be picking up an anti corrosive to slow it down and will be filling the system this weekend or something, hopefully leak free :p

Back