• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping the FX 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phloon1981

Registered
Hey folks.

I was wondering if anyone has lapped their FX chips?
Is it worth the effort or just stupid, warrenty isnt an issue as it is oc'ed (read my signature), how long will it roughly live after lapping?

Do you plan on going COLD (SUB-ZERO) with THAT CPU?????
Is this just a question on if it will help? Yes it will help BUT under water you are talking about MAYBE < 2c drop.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Just a question ;-) havnt done it before, so just wondeeing, but in other words its not worth it i hear you say ;-)

Just a question ;-) havnt done it before, so just wondeeing, but in other words its not worth it i hear you say ;-)

It depends on where you are NOW. If your daily clock had say had a 'package' temp of 62c or only a bit less; well then those two or 3 or maybe more degrees less would seem glorious. And if the added cooling came at just the right place in your stairstep of Vcore increases...welll you might even get by with a little less Vcore and that would be cooler as well.

I don't know of anyone that always has results fully within the average. Yes they are averages but for some reason all seem to fit that average scenario in a little bit different place. You are not worried about warranty. IF you have a cpu cooler that you can "really tension" down onto the top of the cpu...then go for it and get some good thermal paste. No matter if it is only worth 1c, don't shortcut on paste after a few hours of lapping.

Good luck no matter your direction.

RGone...skister.

I don't know of anyone that always has results fully within the average.

RGone...skister.

Sure you do, and hes saying 1c-2c is within margin of error or perhaps today the room temp is 1c cooler.

Waste of time. No really it is....

So if warranty is no issue and you want minimum temps why not consider a de-lid? (I'm actually surprised Shrimpy didn't suggest this one-LOL).

Keep in mind though on AIR it's virtually pointless, on water it can be more helpful than lapping. I've read mixed on sub zero. From it's the only way to go to it's not worth damaging the core.

That sound tempting and a fun experiment, have to do some reading on the subject, anyone know if there is a guide with pics/video? Cant find any:-/

Out of curiosity what do you use this CPU for? Benching or gaming or work?

Here's the info you requested. Use it at your own risk of course.

Here's ShrimpBrime's.

And this...

This is an Athlon de-lid but I believe the procedure is the same.

ohhh the 8350 is my main chip, have an old chip to play with athlon x2 i think it is.. But if it is giving some good results on temps i might concider it.. The FX Does mostly gaming and some fun ocing nothing to serious

If you rely on the FX8350 then I would suggest you leave it as is, especially for gaming and playing around. Your temps shouldn't be to critical. The extra few degrees C will not show any real gains in your OC, gaming-wise.

Some of the Athlons were pretty good toasters though no where near as hot as the FX 8 & 9 series. Maybe you could hook the AM2(+) up to your custom loop and see what you can OC it to and chart the temps with P95. Then do the delid and if successful see what gains you can achieve both in OC and temp wise. Might be a fun project. HMMM I may do the same just to see.

it sounds like a fun project yes, its in the wife desktop, so have to convince to go on the spare A10 5700K (i think) i have.. Might just do it and dont say anything to her :D

Thank you BlayLock. Those are older videos, I revised the way these get de-lidded.

Watch this one instead.

If you notice, that is a Cpu missing a pin. 6400+, still got it, still working.

Thanks Shrimpy. The video doesn't show it but did you still use the razor to cut the glue prior to de-soldering on the Athlon? Is this necessary on FX?

Good observation. Good question.

Yessir very much so. I make at least three good passes with the razor. Just like de-lidding non-soldered processors.

All processors have that glue. There's no way around cutting it unless you got nuts like the Intel guys and use a hammer punch to "knock" it off the PCB. Not for me. take a few minutes and just make the cut.

Most FX 8 cores are not really stable 5ghz on ambient cooling. There are some diamonds in the ruff....

I tried lapping many years ago with Phenom Ahtlons all kinds of processors. Fact is the temp drop isn't enough to really gain a higher overclock, but does help temps with current overclock. And even then it's as much as 2 or 3c, but nothing more as all you did was make a flat contact point flatterer. Thus being able to minimize the amount of paste needed.

Your Cpu results and benchmarks look on the average of what should be, you did a nice job with the lapping.

Try shutting down 4 cores and have some fun beyond 5ghz. Try pushing for more.

Last edited:
I can't run Prime for **** though...and it's not even close with temp problems, and workers going down...something else going on, not sure what...threw all kind of voltage, I don't maybe memory problems or I need to bump CPU/NB...I tried it at 4.7
You trying to run prime at 4.7 Jr88? I'd bet the board is the issue, Asrock has been known to use some trickery on their Vrm section of their boards. It's likely the board just can't handle the power draw of the Fx when is taxed while running prime.

Back