• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thobel

My current server is getting a little old and it begging to become a bottleneck.

Current Specs

CPU: I7 2600k @4.0
MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Pro Air
RAM: Corsair Vengence DDR3 4x8GB 1600 C9
Video: GTX 760 Air
Case: Lian Li PCA71F
PSU: Corsair HX1000
LCD: None
SSD: 2x Samsung Ocz Vertex 3 in Raid 1 Boot Drivec Samsung 840 Evo 500GB VM's
HDD: Areca ARC-1261 Raid Controller 15x4TB WD SE Data Center Drives in Raid 6
H20: Corsair H80

In addition I have taken the NAS path for my storage needs I just got a Synology DS3615xs with 12 6TB drives and I'm ordering the 12 drive expansion box.

I'm looking to build a new server in a much smaller form factor debating dual proc say 6 or 8 core vs single proc 10-12? what processor high clock speeds for Xeons increase the price dramatically it seems. Any thoughts?

I tend to build somewhat overkill
I want the server to last 5 years+
Mainly used for Plex and 1-2 Desktop VM's
I will re-use the SSD's, PSU, GPU (is a GTX760)
mostly looking for CPU, MB, Ram and Case advice.

What issue is your current system having for what you are doing? I would imagine it to still be quite capable to host plex and a couple VMs.

I personally just built a Socket1366 dual CPU server (2xL5630 4c/8t CPUs, 32GB ECC RAM, Supermicro board) for about $350 after everything. It will be more than enough to host my test lab and test domain/etc.

What issue is your current system having for what you are doing? I would imagine it to still be quite capable to host plex and a couple VMs.

I personally just built a Socket1366 dual CPU server (2xL5630 4c/8t CPUs, 32GB ECC RAM, Supermicro board) for about $350 after everything. It will be more than enough to host my test lab and test domain/etc.

cpu gets pegged to 100% pretty consistently these days. Multiple streams plus downloads etc just kill the cpu now

anyone? I'm debating using 10+ core xeon vs a 5960x I was thinking overclocked 5960 should outperform a Xeon with 2 more cores?

Get a 4P system, get a H8QGi-F or a H8QGi-LN4F and 4 Opteron 6276's 16 core CPU's for total core count of 64 :rofl:

DSCN0474.JPG
DSCN0507.JPG

Back