• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drastic performance drop after overclocking - Did I damage something?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bombchu

Hello. I am new to performance hardware and I just recently built my first gaming machine. I guess I'll start with my rig. I'm not really sure what info you guys need, so if I leave something out let me know.

MB: MSI 760GMA-P34 FX
CPU: AMD FX 6300 6 core @ 3.5ghz
GPU: MSI R9 270X Hawk
RAM: 8gb DDR3

Ok, so I got it all put together about a week ago, and started up Skyrim with everything turned all the way up. Ran great. Felt like a consistant 50-60 fps at all times. Over the last few days I've thrown on a few mods that made the performance drop, so I thought I'd look into overclocking. My cpu specs say 3.5ghz (4.1ghz turbo). I take that to mean that it can go up to 4.1ghz safely. And everything I read about my gpu says that it's built for overclocking. It even has that afterburner software that lets you slide some levers to easily do so. The biggest danger that I gathered from what I read, is overheating, so today I installed a couple more case fans. I ran my cpu through the overclock testing that's built into the catalyst control center, and I let it test up to 4.1ghz, and the temp never went above 42. I turned it down to 4.0 to keep from pushing it to what I presumed to be it's advertised limit. I used the afterburner sliders to turn my gpu core clock all the way up to 1400 and the memory up to about 1700. I threw the hardware monitor up on my second monitor along with a little app called speedfan (basically just a hardware monitor), just to make sure the temps I was seeing were correct. I booted up Skyrim with some tasty mods. and I could tell immediately from the animated loading screen that the game's fps was very unstable. And before the game could finish loading I got a blue screen crash. I immediately rebooted and turned off all overclocking, and turned off all Skrim mods, restoring it to what before was a steady 50-60 fps state. But when the game loaded, the performance was terrible. the framerate was well below 30 fps, and there was awful input lag. I double and triple checked that I had restored all overclock settings back to default and turned off all mods, and I hadn't forgotten anything. All settings were exactly the same as they were when I first played, but the game ran just awful. I guess I should note that I haven't noticed any issues outside of the game in case that's helpful.

So, did I damage something? Would a fresh driver reinstall fix this? Maybe a windows reinstall? Any ideas at all about what I could do to fix the situation?

Thank you for your help! :)

This is your problem. Set your clocks to stock and don't overclock it. Fair warning!

edit: yes its possible you damaged something, sorry!

Last edited:
Even a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P would be loads better!

Number 1, that MSI model is a bottom-of-the-barrel model and the bottom-of-the-barrel MSIs are a horror show even at stock!!

OTOH, it wouldn't surprise me if a bottom-end Gigabyte does fine with a stock 8 core FX.

I set everything back immediately after the blue screen crash. That's when I noticed the problem. I reinstalled the video card driver, the catalyst software, and even the game, it's no better. Do I need to change a bios setting or something?

- - - Updated - - -

Even a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P would be loads better!

Number 1, that MSI model is a bottom-of-the-barrel model and the bottom-of-the-barrel MSIs are a horror show even at stock!!

Even a bottom-end Gigabyte likely will be fine with a stock 8 core FX.

Lol, alright. Good to know. Can you suggest a good mobo for around $70-$80?

If bios is stock, the best you can do is underclock and hope you didnt brick your motherboard unfortunately.

This is your problem. Set your clocks to stock and don't overclock it. Fair warning!

edit: yes its possible you damaged something, sorry!

Is there any way of knowing what, if anything, was damaged so I know what I need to replace?

Your symptoms sound like an unstable GPU. (low FPS and a crash) And just in case, bring both GPU and VRAM back to stock temporarily.

Your symptoms sound like an unstable GPU. (low FPS and a crash) And just in case, bring both GPU and VRAM back to stock temporarily.

Everything is as stock as I know how to make it. I turned off overclocking in the catalyst software, and even though I didn't touch the MB bios, I reset them to failsafe defaults. No change. Thank you for your reply :)

So, is there any way to tell what, if anything, needs to be replaced? Thanks.

Back