• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dye/coolant question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Itachiii

Hey guys, so I've been thinking of adding coloured coolant to a WC loop I'm currently planning for a friend. He just want the rig for show off so he will most probably use it for 2-3 days a month. My question is: Which is the best coloured coolant? Colour output-wise and the one that is more likely to leave the least goo in the blocks. What about Mayhem dyes? I've seen them sold at the EK site.

Thanks in advance!

Use colored tubing.

Hey ATM,
Yea I know it's best for a lot of reasons and I suggested that to my friend but he insists on going for a coloured coolant. In that case, what would you suggest? I've seen XSPC, EKWB, Phobya and they all look pretty much the same.He's looking for a green coloured coolant something like this:

Thanks again!

Ok, that was nasty :p I guess you would need an,every 3 month maintenance, for that not to happen? It's bad though, I think I've seen it b4 somewhere, when I first started to read about WC. What about Mayhem dyes? Same happens there? From what I've found by doing a bit of a search, they get mixed with distilled water to about 1:3 ratio depending on the package. Is it as "dangerous" as premixed coolants are?

Ok then, I guess I'll just make him change his mind and go coloured tubing. Primochill has some solid coloured tubing anyway! Distilled and PT Nuke ftw. Thanks again for info ATM, see you around :)

Definitely distilled + biocide :thup:

He should be interested in the Primochill Advanced LRT UV Green ;)
AdvancedTubing_UV_GREEN.jpg

Yes! Or maybe something a bit more matte. Not that transparent. I can't find something like that over at Primochill though. Do you have anything in mind?

In the EK site, they state than Advanced LRT doesn't have issues with plasicizer leaching. It happened to the old LRT pro. So I guess there's no problem with that. PFPC has limited colours though so I'll be ordering from Primochill's site directly

Best colored tubing is PrimoChill Advanced LRT. Other than that you risk of plasticize. If you still insist with colored fluid, your only best bet is to go with the Swiftech HydrX PM Coolant.

Hey Jack, thx for the reply! Well, I finally made him change his mind and go for coloured tubing. I've searched over the net on the danger of plasticize of the Advanced LRT tubing and they say it's minimum to none. Did it happen to anyone of you?

Been using PrimoChill Advanced LRT for 2 years now with no issues whatsoever.

I suggest none of them. I never have and (unless something about colored fluids changes drastically) never will.
I've never seen a coolant that didn't have at least some reports of staining and gunk buildup. (some do this more than others, obviously)

If he's insisting on colored coolant, show him this:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...Confirmed-Feser-1-Blue-Premix-GTZ-do-NOT-want

Mostly due to plasticizer I've read. The dye sticks to it which ends up on the block and stuff.
Hence my choice for PEX...

If you want dye, go for it, it's your loop you will just have to clean it thoroughly more often than without dye that's all.

EDIT: Primochill Advanced LRT tubing is the one you want, no plasticizer in it. The old Primochill Advance started to have plasticizer leaching out.

Mostly due to plasticizer I've read. The dye sticks to it which ends up on the block and stuff.
Hence my choice for PEX...

If you want dye, go for it, it's your loop you will just have to clean it thoroughly more often than without dye that's all.

EDIT: Primochill Advanced LRT tubing is the one you want, no plasticizer in it. The old Primochill Advance started to have plasticizer leaching out.

The old Primochill with plasticizer issues was Pro, not Advanced.
Advanced LRT still has plasticizer in the tubing, it just doesn't have issues with leeching.

That's good, coz I'm ordering Advanced LRT for my own loop as well and was kinda worried at the start. Well, we will most probably do something like trying both. We'll most probably use the HydrX for 6-8 months, then tear down the loop, clean it and use distilled + PT Nuke and coloured tubing.

Back