• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 580 Classified turning off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Those readings probably aren't too accurate, but that 12V reading in BIOS looks pretty low. It's possible that the PSU's finally giving up the ghost since the BIOS readings should be close enough to give you an idea where it's at vs. using sensors in a running OS. Other than that the motherboard could be dying, but I'd try a newer PSU first to test at least.

I've had BIOS/HWMonitor read 10V instead of 12V on a perfectly good PSU. The only good way is to get a multimeter.

Alright, so...

Yesterday after i tuned my GPU down a bit it worked just fine, the entire day, but.. Today when i turned the computer on and started Archeage, boom, turned off again....wierd right, and all the settings that i turned down from the GPU are saved..

Possibly bad PSU caps or a bad PSU solder joint. With a random shutdown, likely.

Ok guys, i managed to get a "new" computer because my gtx 580 stopped working, i changed everything BUT the psu and memory ram. This has to be a PSU problem right? i mean, i have a gtx 970 now and i cant run heaven for more then 10seconds. I made this video on HWMonitor but i dont think it gives much information right? I should be getting a new PSU soon, i just want to show you guys this to make sure... I also had a friend tell me it could be memory timing, is that a possibility?

Here is the video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8iiwwzqqhnodp8/IMG_5652.MOV?dl=0

i5 4690k 3.5ghz haswell
gtx 970 zotac omega core
gigabyte z97x
2x 4gb ddr3 corsair xms3
corsair tx850m
ssd 120gb

I would almost bet on it being the PSU. How old is it, 5 years?

Failing in only 3 years or 4.5 years is typical if the ambient temps are real high. Or low quality PSU caps.

And a PSU with mediocre caps in a warm room, you will be lucky to get 6 years.

Can you see bulging secondary PSU caps through the fan hole?

i5 4690k 3.5ghz haswell
gtx 970 zotac omega core
gigabyte z97x
2x 4gb ddr3 corsair xms3
corsair tx850m
ssd 120gb

Did you set the memory timings manually by the rated specs?
What are the CPU and GPU temps when the crash happens?
How old is that PSU?

What happens when the crash occurs? Straight to power off? System freezes, but stays powered on?

I didnt do anything with the memory timings, they are the way they always were.

CPU Temp was 30-35C
GPU Temp was 32C

PSU is old, 4 to 5 years.

When the crash occurs the screen goes black i get a power save mode on my monitor and nothing else. I hear the music playing on the background and everything, if im on skype it keeps the call completly normal, its just the video that goes black, then i have to manually restart the pc.

*It USED to crash and come back, with the kernel error but its not doing that anymore.

Last edited:
I didnt do anything with the memory timings, they are the way they always were.

CPU Temp was 30-35C
GPU Temp was 32C

PSU is old, 4 to 5 years.

When the crash occurs the screen goes black i get a power save mode on my monitor and nothing else. I hear the music playing on the background and everything, if im on skype it keeps the call completly normal, its just the video that goes black, then i have to manually restart the pc.

*It USED to crash and come back, with the kernel error but its not doing that anymore.

edit: check this out .. https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1fv1013a86s719/cpuz.png?dl=0

Sounds like GPU, as the sound keeps going.
When you got the new parts, did you reinstall Windows?

Please host pictures on the forum, some of us can't see external hosts on company internet.

cpuz.png

Thats the picture i wanted to show you. I got my GPU last week, its been 7 days today that im using the new gear

You need to go set your RAM speed, timings, and voltage by their rated spec in your BIOS.

I did, i mean not me, the tech who put all the parts togheter he did but im not sure he understand this much about it

Okay...
Well, which NVidia driver version are you on right now?

IMG_5655.JPG

Like this? I did this to the first 4 only, did i do it right? did that on both channels

The timings look correct, did you also change the speed and voltage?

oh, i didnt do that. speed is 1000mhz? and voltage 1.650V?

I managed to run thru heaven now, thats a start!! :D

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cmx8gx3m2a1600c9

corsair page states 1600mhz but the screenshot says 1000mhz what should i use

edit: let me rephrase that, i ran heaven on basic, soon as i try to set to ultra and 1920x1200 it restarted again

edit2: ran heaven on 1920x1080 on high and rest normal and benchmarked it - 2085 points. good or bad?

Last edited:
Thats right! You are 100% correct, its the 2000mhz speed
here is the picture..

IMG_5657.JPG

so i go into the BIOS and change it to 2000mhz 1.650V?

My Nvidia driven is the latest one

nvidia.png

Back