• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 580 Classified turning off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rikz

Registered
Hello everyone,

Thanks for taking a time to read my thread.

I have been having problems playing Archeage lately, my computer is shutting down all of the sudden, so i started to take some tests using Kombustor. I have ran random test of the list there but the one that gave me a problem was the GPU memory burner (3072mb), all the other memory burner tests ran just fine but when i ran the 3072mb one my computer froze and i had to manually restart it. after rebooting the computer when i opend kombustor again my computer turned off.

My question is, What is my problem? is my problem GPU? GPU memory? Maybe a power supply? or could it be my computer RAM memory?

What other tests should i run to identify the problem? I dont think its a temperature problem, i have been keeping a close look at the temperature and it never goes higher then 60C, all the times that my computer turned off the temp was around 53C so its not that, correct? Please, i could use help!

My specs are:

Intel i7 [email protected]
8gb ram xms3 corsair
gtx 580 classified
TX580M corsair power supply
Asus rampage formula III mobo

Please i really want this fixed. Thanks!

ps. I have uploaded a picture of my setup just in case someone asks.

IMG_4239.JPG

Kombuster/Furmark can kill your GPU, don't use it.

When playing Archage, is it giving a BSOD? Or is it just cutting off to a blank screen with no warning?

It just turns off, no blue screen,nothing... sometimes even before i log into my character. Ill run heaven.

Edit: I just ran heaven benchmark and my computer turned off at the last scene...

Last edited:
Sounds like the PSU is hitting OCP.
Do you have another PSU to test with?

I dont have another PSU to test with, is there any test i could run to make sure its the PSU?

Could i turn off some case coolers to help? i have 6 case coolers plugged in

Unplugging fans won't help.
Are you overclocked at all? If so, dropping the overclock would reduce PSU load.

Nothing overclocked, just my GPU is overclocked but its from factory

I just did some tweaking to my GPU to lower the clocks, looks like this:
underclock.png

and ive been on the game for couple minutes no problem now... would that guarantee me that my problem is the PSU?

I would almost bet on it being the PSU. How old is it, 5 years?

Somewhere around that, i remember i bought this whole computer the same month as the GTX 580 classified was released so yea some where around 4-5 years. do psu go bad with time?

Alright, so...

Yesterday after i tuned my GPU down a bit it worked just fine, the entire day, but.. Today when i turned the computer on and started Archeage, boom, turned off again....wierd right, and all the settings that i turned down from the GPU are saved..

Almost willing to bet on your PSU getting ready to give. You got some power hungry hardware there, it's probably been pushing that PSU pretty hard these past few years.

i just wanted to run something specific to make sure its the PSU or not, is there such a test?

edit. if i were to buy a new PSU, what is a good one? should i stay with 850`s or go 1000`s?

Last edited:
Alright so, my computer turned off a hour ago as soon as i opend the game, could not turn it back on.. so i changed the ram memory slots and tried to turn it back on again and it worked. got a message saying my overclock failed and i should re config(i never OC, lol) While on the BIOS i took this picture that caught my attention..

Is the number in red a bad sign? are those voltages OK?

IMG_4529.JPG

You can't really tell from monitoring software, it's usually not accurate. If you really want to see what is what with the Psu get a multimeter and test it.

Those readings probably aren't too accurate, but that 12V reading in BIOS looks pretty low. It's possible that the PSU's finally giving up the ghost since the BIOS readings should be close enough to give you an idea where it's at vs. using sensors in a running OS. Other than that the motherboard could be dying, but I'd try a newer PSU first to test at least.

Back