• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Question on upgrade advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

Still rocking my pc in my sig.*If it shows still.*

Would it be worth upgrading the cpu, mobo, ram, and PSU with broadwell, or simply wait a bit longer for skylake? Any AMD alternatives? I'm not opposed to it.

Usage - Gaming, programming environment*Java Development*, High resolution streaming*1080P-1440P*

I'm a bit out of the game when it comes to processors, my I5 2500k is still kicking, but it is showing its age.

Thanks.

EDIT:120 G Samsung 840 EVO drive for boot drive

I'd just wait. Right now you should be able to get a 3770K for a decent price if you need a boost to hold over till Skylake.

The other thing I would suggest is an SSD. It'll help any system feel faster.
A 250GB or 500GB 850 EVO would serve you nicely

Roger that. I'm seeing H2 2015, In other words, around December. When did they switch to Hx vs Qx release scheme?

I'll be keeping my Video card as-is for awhile, and I do have a 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO for the drive, sig is a tad out of date.

Will probably buy a 3-4TB drive as my mass storage drive to replace these two old HDD's.*the 1 tb is 4 years old, and the 250GB is 7 years old!* Just to be on the safe side on data security, and partition it into 4 1 TB drives for better organization.

Is it confirmed that skylake will be DDR4? I figure I can start by buying the ram if that's the case.

As for the rest, I'll save it for when skylake is released and I go to rebuild. :D

Nothing is really "confirmed" for Skylake yet.

I think the assumption right now is DDR4 and August '15.

Seems to me you would benefit from a hex or octa core CPU for those apps.

So, Considering this PC will be utilizing 1 SSD*eventually a second for game storage purposes*, and 1 3 TB HDD, A GTX 770, what kind of power supply output should be sufficient? I'm thinking around 660 watts should be plenty for a single 770*no sli needed* while still giving some headroom for Overclocking? Maybe 750 watts tops? Thanks :D

A quality 550w is enough with overclocking. Overclocked on air/water you won't break 450w... and likely less than that...(400)

Skylake is ddr4 and out late 2015.. holiday season is what I see around

Back