• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Q] Keep PC in Another Room

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SkyChotik

Does anyone here know if it's possible to keep a PC in another room/basement and get extenders for video, mouse, keyboard, etc?
My desktop PC generates a ton of heat and I have poor airflow in my work area.

I was thinking hdmi/usb over ethernet but can't find any decent adapters.

Any/All help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Not trying to be a smart alex here, but have you considered improving the airflow to/from your work area first? It seems that moving the warm air out would be cheaper, a quicker fix, and less hassle than if you try to add wired or wireless solutions to several other devices.

Well if the workspace and other room are conjoined then you could run a long hdmi/etc cable and use a usb extender (max length 5 meters without an active/repeater cable)

Replace your 7950 (~225W STOCK IIRC, likely 250-275W overclocked as you have it) with something new from NVIDIA, say GTX 970 (150W) and that will also help. Otherwise, it seems easier to extend perihperals, but more costly, than it does to modify airflow to me (unless we are talking desktop/box fan in the room).

Im unclear as to whom is uncomfortable here? Yourself or the PC? What I mean is that if youre trying to squeeze a higher OC out of your pc the solution might be different than if your trying to keep your sweat glands from being overproductive :)

I know hdmi comes in all kinds of lengths (I think i have seen 60ft) but like Janus67 said USB maxes out @ 5m. I guess it also depends what you use your PC for as well. A work desktop may be able to handle a wireless USB or bluetooth keyboard (max range about 30ft) but a gamer is not going to be able to put up with wireless..... I know Im probably not adding anything you dont already know. Im just tryin to say I would probably try for the easy way (long cords and wireless stuff) :)

As it is right now, I'm on the top floor of my home, and it's an older house (80-100yrs old) so unless I moved to the basement or a bigger area I can't do much there.

I know it is t the preferred solution, but cords can be routed discreetly through walls and floorboards. My own pc is in a backless cabinet with a hole cut in the wall behind for all the cords to run. I've got an intake hole drilled in the side of the wall ( it's an "Island type wall that separated 1 LG rm into 2 small) so that the entire I terror of the wall is a large vent. I guess it's not really an intake, but an exhaust :) the only visible part of the pc is the keyboard mouse and monitor. No cords on the keyboard and mouse so they can be carried to any comfortable position within view of the monitor.

Like I said, if it were me I'd use long cords, but that is the low tech inelegant solution. I'm not real sure if there is a better way with wireless or Bluetooth

Back