• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooled GPU temps are still going 100 Degrees!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IS3

Registered
Hello OCF,

First of thank you for taking the time to read my post.

I need some help in regards to my water cooled setup which includes:

Swiftech MCR140-X Drive(Rad,Res,Pump combo)
Corsair SP140 (Pull Configuration)
EK-Koolant (Blood Red)
XSPC Compression Fittings
Primochill LRT Tubing (3/8" ID, 5/8" OD)
XSPC GTX 590 Razor Waterblock

My Specs are:

Corsair 250D mITX case
MSI Z87i Gaming Motherboard
Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.6Ghz
Corsair Dominator 8GB
EVGA GTX 590 Classified
PNY 250GB SSD
LEPA 1000 watts PSU

My setup is really simple: Radiator all in one > GPU1 in > GPU2 out ( 1 card in sli ).

- My journey to the world of water cooling was a painful yet an exciting one. It was difficult since English is my second language, it was hard to understand some of the instructions online. I didn't have the funds but I tried to make it work the best that i can. Working in a really tight case was a pain without the use of angled fittings. The bubbles were driving me crazy until i let it bleed the whole day and finally bubbles were gone. I was excited to finally finish the setup but it didn't meet my expectation.

- The first issue was GPU1 temp goes up really fast so what i did was remove the waterblock, reapply thermal paste, made sure heat pads were in right place and then tighten the screws.
At last the temps were in stable levels until i started Furmark and temp was climbing slowly so i know the waterblocks are placed properly.

- But the temps are still in the high 80/90 degrees, so i thought maybe it was my fan speed which spins around 1350 RPM? I started messing up with the Fan's orientation (push or pull) but neither helped...

- One more thing i want to add is my pump is plugged in to a SATA power connector so the speed is full blast but I am not sure if it will help when the flow speed is a little mellow?

Thank you again for any advise and i appreciate your help!

Here are the Pictures: IMAG0045.jpg IMAG0046.jpg IMAG0047.jpg IMAG0048.jpg IMAG0049.jpg IMAG0050.jpg

Last edited:
1) Don't use furmark, it can kill your card.
2) Post a picture of the system.
3) That's not nearly enough rad for a 590 and CPU.

Thank you for the advise on not using Furmark. One other program i use to test was CS: GO and my highest temp was 97 degrees celsius.

The setup i have does not include the CPU. It is strictly GPU only.

I will post some pictures later.

Last edited:
That's still not nearly enough radiator for a 590.
Is the rad hot when the GPU is hot?

Yes, the Rad is really hot to touch when the GPU is hot...

Do you think adding a 240 rad will work?

What other options do i have?

Yes, add a 240 rad. 3x120 total rad space would be my minimum for that GPU.
No other options.

Agree with ATM. You don't have sufficient heat surface for a dual GPU. 120.3 would be minimum in my book as well.

Also grab some angle fittings so your tubing out of your GPU doesn't cause a kink or the stress doesn't loosen the tubing after a while.

Ok will do! thank you again for the advice and recommendation!

I have another question though, will it be okay to include the CPU in the mix if i have: 140 Rad, 240 Rad, 160 Rad ?

because I already have the 140 on the front, then the 240 will be on the side, and the 160 will be on the back.

Is that a possible setup?

Not sure who makes a 160mm rad but if you're going to have at the least 120.5, you should be ok with a CPU + GPU (x2) loop as long as you're not pushing too many overclocks.

Have you ever considered a external unit like the MORA rad? Could mount the res, pump and rad to a housing and just have the tubing with some QDCs connected to the water blocks.

Hardware Labs makes the dual 80mm rad. anyhow, i have not heard of the MORA rad. I will definitely check it out!. I am not really going to overclock my rig but you will just never know :) Thank you for the recommendation.

UPDATE: I just saw the MO-RA3 and wow it is like a car radiator :) Thanks for showing me about this insane rad!

I would advise against using any type of colored coolant, even that EK-Koolant stuff. For best results use only distilled water and biocide. If you want color, use colored tubing instead. There are horror stories from ppl using colored liquids and blocks/pumps being damaged from cloggings/staining and even pump failures.

I am guilty of not following that, for some reason i wanted that red liquid even though i read and saw some videos about possible, gunking/staining and destroying some water cooling parts. Once i get my 240 Rad i will definitely use distilled water and biocide. thank you!

I am guilty of not following that, for some reason i wanted that red liquid even though i read and saw some videos about possible, gunking/staining and destroying some water cooling parts. Once i get my 240 Rad i will definitely use distilled water and biocide. thank you!

When you get the 240, do a complete tear down and clean everything out to make sure that colored fluid is out of the system as well as the new 240 rad.

Can i use tap water to clean it or should I use distilled water right away? And how come the fins of radiators can easily bend? do all manufacturer/models do this?

I will be receiving the 240 rad next week and some angled fittings and I am really excited!!!

Can i use tap water to clean it or should I use distilled water right away? And how come the fins of radiators can easily bend? do all manufacturer/models do this?

Use distilled.

They're thin so that they'll bend. And yes.

(eneducated guess) all manufacturers do this because the thinner the rad fins the more they can put in there per inch without blocking airflow and this gives more surface area for heat to dissipate from.

Another problem I see is that radiator combo after looking it up is a single fan, and the pump is built onto it ? That for one will cut back air flow with the pump being right in front of the radiator, and a single fan isn't enough for a radiator that small.. I use a radiator that small, its a 120-140mm type radiator but I use 2 120mm fans in a push/pull, and I can garuntee you that cools the radiator 2x better then the way yours is setup.

As ofr using distilled water, that's up to you honestly I have been using tap water in my black ice radiator for 13-15 years now and I haven't had any issues. If it were my car though obviously id use distilled water but these radiators I don't bother

As ofr using distilled water, that's up to you honestly I have been using tap water in my black ice radiator for 13-15 years now and I haven't had any issues. If it were my car though obviously id use distilled water but these radiators I don't bother

I can only imagine the build up of deposits in that radiator that ends up cooling less over time.

Back