• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

QuadElement

Registered
i7 920 4 core 8 threads 2.66GHz overclocked to 4.2 GHz
8 gigs of ram 2GBx4
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
750W PSU
Gigabyte GTX 960 4 GB SOC
2 TB
Win 7 64bit

Hey guys, I just wonder to know how much an i7 4990k would improve my gaming experience? :) :)

What resolution are you playing at? With that decent overclock on the 920, I think (if playing at 1080P or higher resolution) the bottleneck will be with the GPU and not on your CPU. You'd probably get a bigger upgrade in games if you upgraded the GPU rather than CPU.

Help with CPU and MOTHERBOARD

Hey guys. Would a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R run i7 4790k properly? The PSU is 750w and the system is running 8GB of ram with a GTX 960.

No, that motherboard is an entirely different socket (1366) - 4790k is socket 1150.

Square peg in a round hole...

If you want a 4790K, you need to get a motherboard based on Z87 or Z97 chipset.

I also do not believe your current ram will work. And if your PSU is as old as your current system, you will want to look in to replacing that as well.

I suggest you create a signature with your current hardware so we know what you are working with.

I also merged two of your threads as this is all about upgrading your current system. Keeping things to one LIKE thread is best for everyone involved.

Good or bad?

Is everything okay with this build?

i7 4790k 4GHz
Gigabyte GTX 960 4GB SOC
8GB of ram (2GB x 4)
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CHIEFTEC CFT 750-14cs 750W PSU

Everything is good outside of that PSU. Chieftec are generally held as garbage. Get something better. Corsair CX series is a lot more serviceable than that Chieftec.

What is your budget for this build. That is going to be the easiest way to help you out Quad.

No need to create duplicate threads. Merged threads again...

Back