• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7970 Matrix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hotrod717

Need some help with 7970 Matrix card. Great card, 1350/1850 water, but when I go to freeze I'd like some moar volts at my disposal.
I do not have a board for hotwire. I'm on U3 bios and tied LN2 pads, but no unlocked limits on bios. Anyone have a unlocked gpu tweak or do I need to do more.
780ti and 290x both fully unlock with just tying pads. What am I missing? :facepalm:

May need a special GPUTweak software version? I can't remember.

Yeah, that's what I've found so far. I found a old link, which was invalid of course and Asus doesn't list it. Hoping someone may have or knows someone that has this. Fingers crossed.

May be worth shooting Shamino a message on the KPC forums, he may be able to hook you up if nobody on our team has it. I think I had one for a Matrix 580 but I never had a matrix 7970

I don't know about the 7970 but some matrix card had pads that needed to be shorted to get full voltage.

Off topic, but related to what you posted, just picked up another 770L. I think it may be the same one I sold a few months ago and regretted. Fingers crossed it's same one.

Did you pick it back up for less than you sold it for ..... :rofl:

Did you pick it back up for less than you sold it for ..... :rofl:
Sold it for $225 and paid $170 both times. ;)

I found a couple of threads this one at KPC may help http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1989&highlight=7970+matrix&page=2
It also appears that the older generation of 7xxx cards got voltage locked according to the ROG forum so you might have to mod it to get more volts.
I read several threads at KPC, OCN, and here regarding Matrix 7970. I have soldered the pads and confirmed newer U3 bios.
Everything I'm reading and being told is particular gpu tweak.
I will be sending Shammy a pm once I get home. Hoping he still has a copy or can give me better info.
I've had 4 of these altogether. Previous were before getting the cold bug. :)
This is very close to the best that I had. My first could do 1375/1885 on ambient water. This one is at 1350/1850 on chilled.

*Shammy's box is full so I posted a thread.

Last edited:
Well, i got clock unlocked, but voltage is still a no go. I'll try jumping R4E pads tomorrow and see if this does it. Had to read the thread on KPC forum a few times before i figured out
" enhancement " , but still seems like a bios may be needed for volts. Threw out a few pm's. Hopefully someone still has something.

Gpu tweak.png

No scaling on cold unfortunately and looking like a hard mod is needed to go any further.
GPU seems willing, just need more volts.
GPU Tweak 2.2.1.4 unlocks clocks, but voltage remains locked. Looks like I really need to brush up on my soldering skills.

Yeah I was afraid of that from what I had read AMD "clamped" down on voltage in that series. Still you would think the top of the line Asus card would have an exception.

Yea I hate dealing with this,

These high end cards should simply be sold with a non DOA warranty and clock at your own risk.

Easily done with stickers properly placed

Send them out with hot rod BIOS's and software capable of maxing out the GPU on cold

We pay this premium for high end cards and still are made to jump through hoops to get them to go ????

Sorry , off soap box

Aw C'mon witchy I was going to bring out the drums. Ha ha

Why even put jumper pads and LN2 label on a card if a hard mod is needed to really unlock them. What makes no sense is that most reference cards are easier to unlock or hack volts than a card that's marketed for extreme overclocking.

Matrix cards are always a PITA

Seems like Classy's and Lightning cards are a little less work

Even still, it would be nice if they just put the hammer down right out of the box :thup:

I've got a folder labeled 7970matrix...has gputweak 2.2.8. Want to try it? Will shoot you a pm.

Edit: Think you might need to use evga's voltage tuner (+hack)....added those to the same folder in my pm :)

Last edited:
Back