• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2015 Wings Over Wayne - Seymour Johnson AFB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
I absolutely love air shows; this is my second (see last year's thread from MCAS Cherry Point) and they are a ton of fun. Like last year I was focal-length limited at 135mm (216mm equivalent on my crop-sensor 70D), so most of these are cropped, some heavily. With that in mind, enjoy the show!

17637870720_6249f50020_b.jpg Air Force F-15 Strike Eagle by Jeremy Vaughan, on Flickr

17202909134_f2c2d7b1e5_b.jpg Air Force A-10 Warthog by Jeremy Vaughan, on Flickr

17825889161_1b3268459f_b.jpg Air Force Thunderbirds Pre-Flight Checks by Jeremy Vaughan, on Flickr

17205051213_6d27773e9b_b.jpg Air Force Thunderbirds Rolling by Jeremy Vaughan, on Flickr

17637870080_005e87a90c_b.jpg Air Force Thunderbirds Into the Wild Blue Yonder by Jeremy Vaughan, on Flickr

17639172409_e381c53af9_b.jpg Air Force Thunderbirds - Inverted Reflection Pass by Jeremy Vaughan, on Flickr

17637605608_4b4fd98a56_b.jpg Air Force Thunderbird - Low & Slow by Jeremy Vaughan, on Flickr

17637606018_d37c28dc00_b.jpg Air Force Thunderbirds Contrail Star by Jeremy Vaughan, on Flickr

There are two more in the Flickr album here. There are more to cull (just a few from planes on the ground), so a few stragglers might follow, but these are the best of the action shots.

Thanks for looking! Feedback is, of course, welcome and encouraged. I'm getting a 55-250mm IS STM from my wife for my birthday next month, so next year should bring much closer (400mm equivalent on crop) shots. :)

I haven't seen a good airshow in several years. The local show died out during the last recession and crazy fuel prices.

BTW is that first shot a missile firing or the sun behind a short contrail?

It's actually a flare. They used them combined with pyrotechnics on the ground to simulate missiles/bombs.

Great shots Hokie! I got to see the Blue Angels a few years ago in Pensacola, but my photography fell far short of yours at this show.

I once saw a Phantom F4 shoot a sidewinder missile at a magnesium flare, during an air show for the USS Ranger while we were deployed in the South China Sea. It suddenly diverted when the IR signature of a closer helicopter's turbo engine caused it to take out the helo with 6 hands on board. Tragic day that I'll never forget. All of the guys fell with the ship several hundred feet into 30k ft deep oceans and were never recovered. The rotors kept rising into the sky until they lost their rotational momentum. The few floating objects from the interior that were recovered were riddled with shrapnel holes.

Wow, yikes indeed. Quite the tragic end to an air show. No live munition was used at this one for sure.

I recall the first air show I attended: the Thunderbirds were all F-86s. The B-58 Hustler was huge and loud. Really was what hooked me on air shows.

Miramar Naval Air Station used to put on awesome military air shows in the San Diego, CA area back in the day. Now it's run by the US Marine Corps.

:) Cool stuff... always fascinated by planes.

Used to go watch planes land when my shift was done on deployments.

Back