• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: Own outright or subscription?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AnimeMania

Has anybody heard whether Windows 10, when it comes out, will allow you to purchase a copy or will you have to pay a monthly, yearly, etc. subscription to continue to use it.

It'll be free.

Note: if you already own a legal/valid license of Windows 7 or 8/8.1.

The OS (per microsoft) will not have a subscription model. It will be a one-time purchase just as their other OSes have always been.

Note: if you already own a legal/valid license of Windows 7 or 8/8.1.

The OS (per microsoft) will not have a subscription model. It will be a one-time purchase just as their other OSes have always been.

Ah, it was anyone not too long ago, I guess they changed that.

I thought that was for a limited time, then you would have to pay.

Yes, I believe it is for the first year.

Correct, for the first year after launch you can upgrade your license key for Win7/8 to Windows 10 for free.

To the best of my understanding, we have no idea at the moment. Also, they are including direct bing connections (like through the search), and candy crush, which makes me think the OS will be ad revenue driven.

Correct, for the first year after launch you can upgrade your license key for Win7/8 to Windows 10 for free.

correct me if I am wrong but from my understanding its a...

you have 1 year to upgrade to windows 10

instead of...

you can upgrade to windows 10 and use it for one year

right?

correct me if I am wrong but from my understanding its a...

you have 1 year to upgrade to windows 10

instead of...

you can upgrade to windows 10 and use it for one year

right?

That is correct. You have one year to upgrade for free from Windows7/8/8.1 to Windows 10. After that grace period you will need to pay for the OS license.

To the best of my understanding, we have no idea at the moment. Also, they are including direct bing connections (like through the search), and candy crush, which makes me think the OS will be ad revenue driven.

Microsoft has said repeatedly that Windows10 will not be subscription based. If they go back on their word then that is one thing, but as of right now we have nothing but FUD pointing to that pathway.

As of today, it'll be just like previous Windows versions - not a subscription.

This thread proves what was obvious months ago - the mere fact that they did not come out and UNEQUIVOCALLY state that caused this rumor. Microsoft wanted to test the waters, thinking maybe it's time to go the subscription way, but all that did was lasting damage which will spill over even after Windows 10 release, some people will not buy it because they will wrongly think it is subscription based.

Reporters had to ask Microsoft representatives and only then Microsoft said Windows 10 will NOT be subscription based - instead of Microsoft making that information CLEAR as part of their presentation. Which they did not. It had to come out after reporters asked. This gave birth to false rumors and nothing they now say will eliminate more threads like this popping up on the forums as we approach the launch. Microsoft handled the issue of subscription terribly. There are very strong, angry feelings against subscription everywhere you look, on every computer forum.

Last edited:
I think the thing that put them in hot water was using the terminology: "Windows as a service". Generally when you consider a service it has a regular payment (utilities, netflix, etc). What they have said as a clarification was moreso that updates would happen more regularly and would be continuously updated as a platform as opposed to a standalone piece of software.

I agree.
The way those presentations were handled can be explained with either incompetence, or they were willfully testing the waters for switching to subscription.
There is no way that false rumor would have exploded like it did if they handled it better. The original poster is not alone in thinking Windows 10 will be subscription because of that.

You know what else people think? "Yea, they want me to switch to Windows 10, but no way man, it'll be free for a while, then they'll hit me with a monthly fee."
None of that would be out there if Microsoft watched what they were saying in those official presentations.

I just received the upgrade to windows 10 for free is I except it does that mean it's free even after 1 year and can I burn the ISO to a CD for future re installs it's really confusing me because at the moment my system is running fine and I don't want to screw it all up trying this so called free update.

First of all Windows 10 is not out or even finished so don't install unfinished Beta on your main system.

After it comes out, that is after the *final* version comes out after August 31, 2015, I would not install any OS over your perfectly working OS, unless or until you make a drive image of your Operating system partition, allowing you to go back in case of problems.

First of all Windows 10 is not out or even finished so don't install unfinished Beta on your main system.

After it comes out, that is after the *final* version comes out after August 31, 2015, I would not install any OS over your perfectly working OS, unless or until you make a drive image of your Operating system partition, allowing you to go back in case of problems.

Arr ok thanks for the clarification

I thought the release date was July 31?

'Cuda340's quote of August 31, 2015 from two days ago is incorrect?

I haven't been following official release date info, please post where you guys heard July 29, so we can post that in 'Cuda340's Windows 10 thread.

Back