• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 6350 vs Intel core i7 gaming performance.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FranBunnyFFXII

Registered
I'm currently planning out some rigs build options, I currently have my ideal rig planned out and decided on, but if push comes to shove, I want to have a much cheaper solution vs my build of choice.
My current rig is a laptop and I can tell it's GPU is getting old, and i don't care to spend the money to replace it's GPU. 450+Dollars for a M290X isn't worth the price I could pay for a new rig.

Problem Is It has an i7 3740QM overclocked to 4.05 ghz on 3~4 threads. This CPU vastly outperforms the 6350 in 3dMark FireStrike's Physics benchmark.

I am wondering if this CPU will outperform my current CPU in 2~3 threads for gaming, particularly when overclocked
I'm trying to make sure I don't get screwed on gaming performance CPU wise IF i need to go with a cheaper build.

The 3740QM performs fairly well for every game I currently play, but If the 6350 doesn't stand to outperform the i7 3740QM at 4.05 ghz in gaming performance, then I'd have to design an intel rig.
CPU single/dual/tri core performance is extremely important for the game's I play because most are MMORPGs, which are heavily reliant on single core and dual core clocks being as high as possible.

So will a 6350 be able to out do a 3740QM(4 cores 8 threads) in 2~3 core(threads) performance for gaming?

Edit: my current CPU outperforms the 6300 @4.5ghz by a substatial margin in cinebench 11.5, I found a youtube video for comparsion.

Last edited:
Build an Intel rig.

The 6350 can't touch Intel's 4 series processors.

Would even an i3 4370 3.8ghz outperform the 6350 in 2~3core/thread performance?

Could I get a z97 chipset board and push up the reference clock a bit and get a bit more performance out of it?(i know the i3's have locked down multipliers.)

I wanna say yes, but that's a dual core. So for triple threads, no. Just strictly because of one less core available.

You want to get into a i5 4570 (not K) It's going to be most power effecient for your uses OR get a 4670K so you can overclock and grab more e-peen.

If you can find a used i7 3770K, have 8 threads and OC..... But I still recommend the newer 4 series chips. It just makes sense to buy the newest, but don't under buy with a dual core.

Now I'm not saying AMD can't game.... It's just that most games are optimized on and for Intel processors. You wouldn't net the same frame rates. And possibly not over your mobile chip either.... It's the video card you really want to sink moneys into. GTX 760 is what I run with my current sig rig. I had a 3770K and a GTX 780 HOF. It was boss. But more than I needed strictly playing mostly DX-9 titles. So I rolled back to AMD for overclocking more so than gaming. I can't see a difference from 50 fps with AMD to 80fps on Intel.

How'd I know you'd quote that..... Almost didn't write it actually. And later added... But I still recommend the newer 4 series chips.

Yea, 4970K from a laptop is a serious upgrade.

Curious though, what made you ask. It's obviously not budget.

How'd I know you'd quote that..... Almost didn't write it actually. And later added... But I still recommend the newer 4 series chips.

Yea, 4970K from a laptop is a serious upgrade.

Curious though, what made you ask. It's obviously not budget.
well the 3740QM vs the 3770 performance is marginal at best, its 7~9% difference on all cores and even less in single/dual cores. the 3770K would have the advantage of overclockign beyond the 4.05ghz that my 3740K tops out at. So the value in the end would just end up being a waste of money.

About the 6350 vs intel?
Depending pricing and stuff like that.

I ahve a 290X in storage gathering dust and I want to get it into a new build before my current rig's GPU kicks the bucket.

If my funds come through, I'll be going with a 5820K if I get all the money I need or if I wanna keep it a short amount cheaper I'd go with the devils canyon.

I just wanted to know if a 6350 would be possible choice for a very inexpensive build, but considering the replies, it seems that AMD has a significant amount of catching up to do.

Intel it is.

2c+HT 3.5GHz on intel side is about as fast in multi threading as 4.5GHz 4 threaded FX/APU. This is what I saw in games and most benchmarks. There are single tests where difference is lower but not many. In this scalling, 6 threaded FX will be still slower without OC than higher haswell based i3.
There are also games like guild wars 2 where i3 ~3.5GHz beats any AMD , even 8 threaded ( and this game is scalling really good even at 6+ cores ). The same was in some other online games like SW-TOR but I was checking that when game was just after premiere so maybe they made performance patches.

4 core Intel is optimal choice for most games. i3 is minimum but they're quite expensive for 2c+ht. There are games which are running good on AMD but most of them don't really need high cpu power and are scalling much better with faster graphics cards.

I can only add that I wasn't happy with general performance of AMD rigs in games. I'm not saying about average FPS but about random FPS drops what never happens on Intel. I just felt like every 30 sec+ FPS was dropping to ~0 for like 0.5 secs. I have no idea if other FX/APU users feel the same in some games.

Last edited:
I actually did a bit of testing with WildStar today, which is the main MMORPG I play, and the game performs noticably better when allowed to utilize all 8 threads, over 2 or 3 cores/threads.

I'm assuming at this point, that the i7 5820k is going to bring that performance up another notch with the improvements that came with the haswell archetechture, and the extra 4 threads, and ofc the potential 200mhz~300mhz extra with a good overclock, over my 4.05ghz all cores when gaming ivybridge QM performance.

Thank you all for your insight btw, it's helpful, and saved me a lot of time doing research and consideration for parts.

At this point I'll simply have to decide if I want to go with the 4790K for slightly more value or the 5280K for "dream machine" status.

A lot of games will show less performance when you take 4 cores to 3/2 as many games can use more than 2 cores (some require more than two). But the question here is does that scaling go UP past 4 cores which is something you did not/cannot test? The answer is 'no' according to that link. ;)

The 5820 would be overkill for a gaming rig,4670k/4790k with a decent z97 board would be much more cost effective.

^+1^ Most assuredly since you keep mentioning a pull back in funding. X99 would be huge overspend for gaming.

RGone...

Having both Intel and AMD setups and also game on both I can speak from experience. If the games you play are Gpu intensive, you're playing with 1 Gpu and are playing 1080p resolution or better the difference between Intel and AMD will be only noticeable if you actually measure the FPS. While playing you will not visually see much difference. If the games you play are Cpu intensive, you're using multiple Gpu's or playing at low resolutions, there is a significant difference and you will have a much more positive experience going with Intel. I also agree with Johan's quote
The 5820 would be overkill for a gaming rig,4670k/4790k with a decent z97 board would be much more cost effective.

A lot of games will show less performance when you take 4 cores to 3/2 as many games can use more than 2 cores (some require more than two). But the question here is does that scaling go UP past 4 cores which is something you did not/cannot test? The answer is 'no' according to that link. ;)

Threads, not cores.

I also do video editing. This isn't just for a gaming rig.

Hey FranBunnyFFXII...

...Get whatever Intel configuration you CAN afford. X99 will be overkill for most single card gaming and video editting compared to decent Z97 board and 4790K Devils Canyon rig with 4 cores and 4 HT cores appearing as 8 working cores to much software. By going ahead with what you have researched even after we have made suggestions, keeps you from later having to say "oh shett, wish I had done that other thing!".

RGone...

Back