• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best current way to update video drivers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dlaw

I know you used to have to completely remove the old drivers (via completely uninstalling and physically removing the files) before clean installing the new ones, is that still necessary? I've simply overwritten the driver 4 or 5 times (however many times the driver has been updated), and I don't seem to be having any issues, but I don't want to be in the middle of a game when I find out I do have them.

I always do a full wipe to be safe either using driver sweeper or DDU.

Well, honestly, you never 'had to' go through all that effort. That was only if you had issues upon upgrading...some just do it because it is clean.

With that said, I still uninstall the drivers through the driver's utility, and then install new. If you are not having any issues with your method, I wouldn't worry about it. But the first thing I would do if you ran into driver issues, is uninstall and reinstall as would be normal troubleshooting methodology. :)

Fair enough, and I suppose that since drivers are delivered through Windows Update now, the majority of users don't have issues with updating on top of old drivers. I'll probably continue to do it this way, and if I end up having issues, I need a re-freshed Windows install anyway. lol.

I had no idea they gave GPU drivers through Windows update. I have it prompt me for all updates and I choose which ones I install. I never get my GPU drivers through Windows update.

Yep, ever since NVidia drivers went WHQL, I've seen them in Windows update. It may be because I have WU set to "receive updates for Windows and other products"? Or you may simply be updating before it's available in WU?

I've been installing my integrated video drivers through WU the whole time I've had this system. I don't even think I manually installed the initial driver for it.

Back