• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid Ultra and copper blocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ed_biii

Registered
Ok, I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with this. I had built a sytem for my father-in-law about 2 years ago and just recently built him a new one and he gave me the old one back. Liquid Ultra had been recently released at the time and thought I would try it. Not for a delid but just for the top of the CPU. I am smarter now and only use it on the die and not the IHS. Anyway, I just took off the copper block and was wondering if anyone knew what I could use to remove the Liquid Ultra from the block. I have only tried some alcohol and scrubbed the S*** out of it but nadda. Would some brasso or something like that work? I really do not want to lap it. Thanks

Ok, I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with this. I had built a sytem for my father-in-law about 2 years ago and just recently built him a new one and he gave me the old one back. Liquid Ultra had been recently released at the time and thought I would try it. Not for a delid but just for the top of the CPU. I am smarter now and only use it on the die and not the IHS. Anyway, I just took off the copper block and was wondering if anyone knew what I could use to remove the Liquid Ultra from the block. I have only tried some alcohol and scrubbed the S*** out of it but nadda. Would some brasso or something like that work? I really do not want to lap it. Thanks

Thx for response Jack but I was actually referring to the block itself. I have heard of brasso or maybe mustard? Not sure. here is a pic IMG_0447.JPG

Thx Nebulous. Yeah I am going to pick some up in the morning. My experience with brasso has shown me it is more for polishing so I think I am most likely going to have to lap it.

My copper block looked like that on a bare die mount I had long ago, though mine was a smaller area and had a smoother appearance of baked on liquid metal. I used a polishing compound (abrasive), slowly took it off. Almost like lapping, but much gentler and leaves it with a nicer finish. Though yours looks worse than mine did. Wont hurt to try chemicals first, interested to see if that works.

Now I have no experience with this and this is just an idea ( disclaimer)
Liquid pro is made from a mixture containing mostly gallium. This melts at extremely low temps (room). I think it's the heating and cooling of the mixture that creates the bond so if you were to pull the bottom of the block off and put it in the oven, you might just be able to wipe it off while it's hot.

Try using a regular foam. like a mattress foam or something. It has the scrubbing power of a sand paper but wont scratch the die or block.

Last edited:
Johan I tried the oven and a heatgun at low temps and nothing. It is embedded to the block. IS3, where would I find something like that at? I called swiftech this morning and they do not sell just the copper base alone and there is a bow to the base when it is manufactured so if I lap it, it may not make good contact with the CPU. I guess I will look for a used block so I can replace the copper baseplate or if anyone here has a Apogee XL that they are looking to sell reasonably I will take it of your hands. I only need the copper plate. I am interested in the mattress foam idea but I am spending more time on this then I want to so I may just toss the thing and sell the rad and pump by itself because it is expandable and you can use any CPU block with it

It was a thought at best, how long/hot did you do the oven for? Copper transfers heat so fast it's hard to keep hot/warm.

I have two burns from grabbing the copper and trying to wipe it while in the oven and also used a heatgun to really warm it up and both ways nothing. I think I am on my 15th delid of haswell cpus and of course never any issues getting this stuff off the the die's but it is also glass. I sent Coollabratory an email to see if they had any ideas but may take a few days to get a response. I am happy this was the only time I ever did this with a copper block but I would love to get it off of there because I know people love these H220-X's because of there expandability but most people just like the ease of the AIO. The community of custom loops is still very small and I have a garage full of parts that I am getting ready to sale and use on other builds. I just thought there has to be some kind of chemical that would clean this liquid ultra off but it is bulletproof after it hits that copper.

Its like this you can give it a try:

bluefoam.jpg

You can also try a ScotchBrite pad like you use for dishwashing.

Sorry if this wont help... thought i would share since we always use foam to get rid of bulletproof thermal paste and stuff...

Much appreciated IS3. Im going to give it a shot. Ill try anything at this point :)

Nothing has worked at all. Looks like lapping it is the only solution :(

I've used this stuff for years. It actually bonds to copper and cannot be removed without manual labor.
What I do is just take something like 800 grit sandpaper and sand it smooth not even to clean copper but smooth and shiny.
The thing is that because it bonds so well it really doesn't affect the thermal performance once it is sanded down. Even if it is still stained.
This stuff is like solder. I have never had to replace the TIM when I have used this stuff and if I have replaced a block it is has been really easy to sand down.

Back