• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Need 240GB to 256GB SSD for $100 or less

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
New Marvell/Phison/Barefoot are good. JMicron were always slow. SandForce is almost only in old series.
From SSD list in 1st post I would take anything from Plextor, SanDisk or Crucial.

Is this correct?

Higher capacities generally mean more flash chips inside the enclosure and higher data rates as a result of having more channels. Think of a flash drive as a RAID 0 array inside a 2.5" case. More flash chips, more speed. Generally, the <200GB drives are a bit slower on writes than the others. Drives >200GB are typically 90% as fast as the 500+ GB drives, since they hit the limits of the SATA interface. Once you get into the >480GB range, that's the fastest ones, but not typically a noticeable difference from the 200+GB ones(benchmark measurable, but not seat of the pants).

Pretty much; if you look at the 128GB SSDs and their Sequential Write stats you'll find that some give accurate numbers, others are 'family' numbers. For recent 128's, 180 - 320MB/s max, if the stats are much higher, say 400 - 550MB/s, then those stats will be from the largest 'family' member, not the 128GB.

Plextor P6S family stats, from the Plextor pdf as an example:

P6S Stats.jpg

I suppose I should go for the larger SSDs then since they're only about 50% more for twice the capacity.

I'll change the title to reflect this.

Larger capacity SSD are faster mainly in writes. In daily work 90% operations are read, not write. If you won't work on databases or other things which use a lot of writes then any SSD will be good. Best SATA SSD series can make ~550MB/s sequential read and ~34MB/s random 4K read. Worst series can still make that 520-550MB/s sequential read and ~27MB/s random 4K read.

In new SSD it's not always like higher capacity = faster. It usually works like that till 480-512GB but sometimes 250/256=480/512GB and 1TB are slower. New SSD are on higher density chips and internal channels are the same but capacity is higher. It of course depends from series.

All depends for what you need this SSD but I would focus more on warranty than +/- 10% performance as you won't really see it. SSD in theory are reliable but in real can die instantly without any warning like SMART errors. HDD are making clicking noise, have faulty cells etc .. SSD usually have 2 stages, 100% fine and won't work at all.

I generally stick to Crucial SSD because of good performance/price ratio and great support. Samsung right now has the longest warranty - 5 years for EVO, 10 years for PRO. Plextor has 3 or 5 years. Sandisk 2/3/5/10 depends from series and store/country.

The Samsung 850 EVO 250GB is on sale at Microcenter at less than $100 for the next few days, but it is instore only.

I looked up Best Buy online and saw some good deals and thought I'd drive over and see them for myself. What a joke. They have them (all 6 drives in stock) behind the Geek Squad desk. They said "We can order it for you" to which I said "No thanks. I'll just order it from Newegg" :rolleyes:

My town of 80k has the resources of a town of 25k or less. Seriously we just don't have anything in stock here. They all say "We can order it for you". :censored:

See above for an amazing deal on one of the best SSD's on the market.

If you can order it right now, go on newegg mobile, go to the 850 evo, and use this code (will NOT work on the desktop version)

MBL150520A

its 89.99$ with the code.

edit: this sale ends at midnight PST today

Last edited:
I checked out Newegg mobile. The price for entry was too steep. That app has no business having access to my photos or camera. That was 2 of the 4 access requirements to install the app. :mad:

I checked out Newegg mobile. The price for entry was too steep. That app has no business having access to my photos or camera. That was 2 of the 4 access requirements to install the app. :mad:

Photos for when you upload customer gallery images :-/, nothing more.

Back