• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Need 240GB to 256GB SSD for $100 or less

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I also tried setting it up on 'Windows' (my PC), but it wouldn't accept anything other than Windows 8.1 :shrug:

Bob I'm real picky about what phone apps say they need without explanation. I noticed Facebook does similar things when you just want to share a page sometimes.

I don't disagree with you at all. I don't use Facebook because it's too intrusive. That said, all aps on google play must disclose access to everything, so if you take a picture it must access your camera and photos, nothing sinister.

Well maybe Newegg is trustworthy enough to try their app. Too late for that SSD deal though :(

Yeah I'm aware of it. Now do I order it and wait a week to finish my build, or get something local and finish tonight? Until I finish, I don't have access to my data, many favorite programs, music and email. That is the question. I'm taking one more look at the $89 240GB SanDisk I saw at Best Buy yesterday and make the decision.

Best buy will price match newegg. They might have some toshiba or crucial Ssds that are good for a good price?

The reality is, outside of the Kingston SSD vNOW drives, most anything you get will be fine for your needs. Controllers and NAND be damned. If you need it now, go get the Sandisk. Otherwise, wait a bit and grab that EVO.

You can also install an OS on a HDD so you can reach your data, order the EVO from amazon, image your OS then drop it on to the SSD. Many ways to skin this cat... :)

I tried that already. I was 0-4 on spare hard drives I thought were still good. Now I'm re-purposing their platters as wind chimes :rofl:

I printed up the ads and I'll see what BB can do for me on delivery time. Lots of options. That's how we like it ;)

I've always hated best buy, but they've really came around in the passed year or so. Price matches are effortless even from your cellphone.

Yep. I saved $10 with a price match. They raised the price over night. So they ended up matching yesterday's $90 price. I was hoping to get that EVO, but their fastest free delivery would have been next Wednesday. Even later for any online dealers. So I got that SanDisk. It's only 27x faster than a spinner while the EVO is ~30x. I won't be able to tell the difference as I've never had a SSD before.

BTW. I now have that Newegg app installed and synced to my account.

Last edited:
Since I get 2-day shipping on Amazon, I'd be doing that.

Also, what Joe said about imaging!

Yep I already have tools to clone my current Win7 partition over to a SSD. EaseUS can do a SSD specific write algorithm. Should be able to git'r done tonight. :D

Hopefully I can put my trusty Asus Commando ROG system in backup mode until it gets converted to a FreeNAS server at some later time. Looking forward to getting my newest machine fully functional and running 24/7.

Amazon requires me to sign up for video streaming service for that free 2 day shipping. Newegg also wants $20 extra for Premium service.

Video streaming? Its just an amazon prime trial...? Then Amazon prime is $xx /year after 30 days.

Newegg's premium service does have a charge, yep.

Well that new SSD works great. It definitely boots up faster than a spinner. Apps open faster too. It was a huge PITA cloning and getting a booting sysprepped Win7 OS partition, but I got it done through trail and error + force of will. The issues were mainly due to multiple hardware failures and some software issues plus my ignorance of what I was doing :D

Thanx again for all your help and advice :cheers:

Back