• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Borked naked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And then there's people like myself who just have to try it. It's not always about performance (mostly) but just to see if you can. It's an experience and you always learn something.

Exactly! Not all benefits from risk taking can be measured in terms of success odds or "cost/benefit ratio" or in dollars and cents. I'll tell you what, a lot of wonderful things have been invented down through the centuries by those who lived outside that box. How can you measure the benefit of things you learn from risk taking and failing? A lot that is so intangible and is not apparent at the time.

Now, if money was tight for me or if borking the 4790k would have ruined my only computer I probably would not have tried it. But such was not the case. So, ED to put it in your terms, the "cost/benefit ratio" of the learning potential of the experiment was something I did weigh, at least informally. Sometimes you just have to be a little "wreckless" in order to grow personally.

Last edited:
Ya what he ^^ said. The Curie's found out the hard way that radioactivity is dangerous.

I hear ya both...it's just not in my nature to take that much of a risk. Deliding is one thing, bare die with no die gaurd is begging for cpu death.

Why not try on the 80 cpu first? ;)

I just don't understand what can be learned when there are abundant examples of the results everywhere (but I guess that goes back to just because... :))

It's all a matter of opinion I guess. Delidding doesn't scare me and in fact I did my 4790k before ever even posting with it. I'm confident in my mechanical skills to pull it off without worry but realize it is still possible to kill it. Now the GPU BIOS that kind of stuff scares the crap out of me lol.

Yeah, we all have areas in life where we may be conservative and other areas where we are risk takers. Living is not a monolithic experience.

I'm just too poor to delid highest series CPUs. I made it on older series and on 3770K but I see no point to risk it on new i7. On the other hand I was soldering $700 graphics cards ...

Back to pentium, I've tested maybe 15 G3258 and I couldn't find better than ~4.5GHz ~1.37V. Then I made longer break and I got one maybe 2 months ago which is running in tests @4.7GHz ~1.3V. Trying not to kill it too fast :)

Last edited:
I will delid any future paste chip without thinking twice if I get high temps with it. 22C temp drop at max load is more than watercooling vs air provides, takes only minutes, and does help with benching, though 24/7 made no difference except drop in temps (~10C at gaming loads). And with a vice, cant imagine damaging the chip, and will just buy a new one if I do. Everyone will draw the cost/benefit line differently. My line, I wont go bare die with a less stable mount for another 5C. Though doing it just to see, sure, but wouldnt do it 24/7 unless the mounting equipment was just as good as ihs on mount.

Though I may be switching to enthusiast platform to solder making it moot, depending on how skylake (non K/overclocking but ? turbo speed and ipc improvements) vs broadwell K vs new enthusiast mobos pans out in coming months. Would be funny if skylake (non-k) IPC improvement and turbo speed made broadwell even OCed obsolete near release.

I used the mobo to re-lid a 3570K. It clamped pretty hard and what seemed to be nice even pressure. Also had the factory heat sink clamped on it as well.

Re-lid? Most people put the lid back on and seat it with the motherboard CPU clamp after delidding. Those that go naked are the exception.

I cracked the cores on a 4770k in my first attempt to delid. also had a 3570k just die after a few months of being delidded, and not sure what happened to it as it wasnt ran naked and had mx-4 for tim

Re-lid? Most people put the lid back on and seat it with the motherboard CPU clamp after delidding. Those that go naked are the exception.

Right!? Take lid off and put back on.... re-liddening.

The only real challenge with Intel is going naked, but was solved a few posts ago with a neat little lid-less bracket. I think that is really neat and should be produced by some manufacturer so they are more readily available for everyone.

But really who needs to de-lid a 77w cpu? It's gonna run apps and gaming great just at 4.5ghz, there's no sense to really pound on it.

People don't usually do things like delidding and going naked because it makes sense. They do it for the challenge and he adventure. Makes your heart pound. Makes you feel alive, whether you succeed or fail. It's the "thrill of victory and the agony of defeat" as the old Wide World of Sports TV program would put it.

Back