• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Borked naked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Well with all this talk on one recent thread about going naked after a haswell delidding I just had to try it. Unfortunately, it dozed my 4790k into the bone yard. Not complaining as I knew there was a reasonable chance this could happen and I went into it with eyes open.

I don't know exactly what went wrong as there is no sign of physical damage to the chip. I coated the resisters with a clear lacquer top coat clear nail polish so I don't think it was due to any stray Liquid Ultra. I do know that my custom do it yourself from the hardware store water block mount left something to be desired with regard to getting a level mount on the chip surface. When I removed the block it was apparent that it had not made any contact along one side of the die. So I'm guessing that may have been enough to fry the thing immediately as when I power it up it tried to boot several times but would shut off quickly.

I did come away from this realizing that the mounting hardware must provide precisely even support on all sides of the die. This becomes much more critical when the lid is removed since the lid insures that any imbalances in pressure from the water block are mitigated. If I were to do this again I would take a lot of time and pains to make sure the mount was perfect.

The other thing I would do if I had to do it over again was practice with a much less expensive chip.

So, I had to drag out my G3258 as a replacement for the time being. And speaking of that, I'm going to start a thread about overclocking that chip. Kind of fun, really and has been pretty challenging as the one I got, well let's just say to describe it as not winning the silicone lottery would be an understatement.

I found great 4790K after testing maybe 15 really bad chips ... and it died in 2-3 weeks :p RMA replacement was only average so I sold it. Right now for 1150 I have only G3258 as I had enough of looking for good 1150 i5/i7 , especially when prices on local market are so high. I also have 5820K for multithreading tests - which is in RMA ... and I hope only board has some issues as CPU is really good for OC.

Did you try to get it to boot again with the lid and tim back on? If the board shut it down soon enough it might still be OK ?

Did you try to get it to boot again with the lid and tim back on? If the board shut it down soon enough it might still be OK ?

Yes, on two different motherboards.

I'm saving the lid, though, and lapping it for future use. The delidding itself was a good experience and using Liquid Ultra under the lid once delidded gave significantly lower temps. I just wish I had left well enough alone and hadn't tried to go naked. I won't hesitate to delid again but I will have a lapped lid ready to go. The lid itself had as surprising concave distortion to it (low in the center) which wasn't apparent until I began to lap it. I wonder if squeezing it in the vice could have caused that during the delidding or if it was that way from the factory? Lapping won't make a huge difference I know - maybe 1-2c from what I read but long as I got the extra lid I might as well do it.

Last edited:
Concave IHS were a concern back in the day (read: Conroe CPUs), and that is why lapping came about really. These days, unless you are temp and not voltage limited, I wouldn't delid. I surely wouldn't run naked either unless you have the proper mounting kit. I am the type of person that is (correction SHOULD BE) after every degree C, but even I don't bother with delidding.

Sorry to hear this happened trents. :(

If its anything like AMD, shut down is a good sign. While my 9590 died the board remained powered on with a cpu error light. I knew right away. That doesnt mean your chip is not dead, its just something I noticed and thought to share with you.

now if this was mine, Id try some chilling to take over heating out of the equation.

Yes, on two different motherboards.

I'm saving the lid, though, and lapping it for future use. The delidding itself was a good experience and using Liquid Ultra under the lid once delidded gave significantly lower temps. I just wish I had left well enough alone and hadn't tried to go naked. I won't hesitate to delid again but I will have a lapped lid ready to go. The lid itself had as surprising concave distortion to it (low in the center) which wasn't apparent until I began to lap it. I wonder if squeezing it in the vice could have caused that during the delidding or if it was that way from the factory? Lapping won't make a huge difference I know - maybe 1-2c from what I read but long as I got the extra lid I might as well do it.

That's a bummer Trents, RIP 4790k

yeah that sucks... only way I would run bare die on my 4790k would be with one of the bare die socket mounts for replacing mobo socket mechanism (pic)...to reduce the risk of uneven mounts/shorts, exact issue I ran into last time I went bare die and posted dead die somewhere on this forum...mine ran fine for awhile, then did temp testing without the best care.

With hundreds of people delidding 4790k/4770k, and several going bare die for additional 5C lower temps, then hopefully more of mobo manufacturers will supply the bare die mount mech...looks really inexpensive, but people using them say they work great. Also EK is making blocks/mounting mech for bare die as well.
msiguard.jpg

Thing is rge, that part in your pic you reference cannot be had unless you buy the MSI motherboard. It's not sold separately.

I was using electrical tape or other things when I was delidding AMD CPUs in the past. I had no bigger problems but have to put right pressure while mounting cooling.

trents, yeah I know, why I said was thinking more of mobo manufacturers would start supplying them... just some msi boards and I think one of asus boards comes with them (saw one person with asus that had a different style one). The intel delidded pcb is thin, light and even with a good initial bare die mount, I can use light pressure and push on the mount and cause it to be uneven. I could take a rubble mallet and smack my current ihs on mount, it would not budge, dont have to worry about it slipping while carrying my computer up/down stairs.

Plus with 22C temp drop from delidding (ihs back on/liquid metal), my highest load temp is 57C in recent past with 24/7 use, and with tjmax of 100C the difference between 57C ihs on vs 52C off is irrelevant. But if the tools and equipment existed for doing mounts as good/stable with or without ihs, then frankly would be easier to just run bare die, plus the additional 5C temp drop.

With so many delidding now, if intel continues to use paste instead of the much better solder, then more mobos and waterblock manufactures hopefully will start supplying equally good bare mount equipment.

With so many delidding now
Not sure it really is that many... The enthusiast crowd isn't big, and the subset that delids is almost a negligible portion of that. I wish to see this too, or at least offer it if its not included (should be the same item for each board).

That said, trents, put up a wanted ad and see if anyone has one... ;)

yeah your right in grand scheme a few hundred delidding in that thead is a very small percentage of users...but some hope with msi and ?asus offering.

Good idea with wanted add, probably some with that msi board not using the bare die mount.

Really it's like barely anyone need delidding. Gamers don't need high CPU clocks, all regular users the same. All who are overclocking on air/water will get 100MHz higher clock in best case ... really who cares ? Extreme overclockers in most cases don't need it as freezed CPU is not overclocking much higher. So who may need delidding ? Only those who have too high difference in core temps , like 12*C+ but then they can make RMA and get new CPU.
Overclockers are maybe 1-3% all computer users. 1% of that 1-3% users will try delidding. I'm really surprised that MSI or any other brand is even preparing additional products for so few users. They could focus more on making good boards with well prepared BIOS as most their products are only average.

+1, QFT... all that.

Tired of seeing stories like this... not for my eyes, but for those eyes that just watched themselves killed their chip for no/little reason. :(

G3258.. DO IT... more than that...... im crawling in my shell, LOL!

Really it's like barely anyone need delidding. Gamers don't need high CPU clocks, all regular users the same. All who are overclocking on air/water will get 100MHz higher clock in best case ... really who cares ? Extreme overclockers in most cases don't need it as freezed CPU is not overclocking much higher. So who may need delidding ? Only those who have too high difference in core temps , like 12*C+ but then they can make RMA and get new CPU.
Overclockers are maybe 1-3% all computer users. 1% of that 1-3% users will try delidding. I'm really surprised that MSI or any other brand is even preparing additional products for so few users. They could focus more on making good boards with well prepared BIOS as most their products are only average.

But you miss the point entirely. Overclockers don't usually tinker with their stuff so much to do something they can't do without tinkering. They do it for the challenge. Just to see if they can do it. For bragging rights, a sense of accomplishment, whatever . . . not necessarily to correct a problem or a practical limitation. And this challenge can encompass more that achieving a faster CPU clock. It may include other variables like making it run as cool as possible.

Well, anyway, my G3258 final overclock turned out to be 4.3 ghz on 1.3 vcore with the uncore at 38x on just under 1.2v. Like I said, not one of the better specimens of G3258 production. I've ordered another one and maybe it will be a better clocker. Really, with how I use a computer the G5328 is just the ticket. Fun to overclock and very snappy in less demanding tasks.

Last edited:
But isn't there a point where the risk outweighs no tangible reward(s)? Even for overclockers? Tinkerer's, etc?

I guess I look at a $300 chip and the fact that it would take $300 to replace it, which I personally CAN afford, and still don't do it...

This is akin to people editing GPU bios' for little reason and borking their boards... its the new(b) craze...I feel horrible when things go wrong and insist, to a fault, for people not to do it.

And then there's people like myself who just have to try it. It's not always about performance (mostly) but just to see if you can. It's an experience and you always learn something.

Back