• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Sleeving...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Itachiii

Hey guys, I'm in the process of sleeving my new PSU (EVGA SUPERnova 750G2). Since it's my first time sleeving I chose to start with the VGA cable. By the time I removed the heatshrink tubing and the factory plastic sleeving I noticed a capacitor connected to the pins 1 and 4 of the connector. How can I sleeve it?

Thanks in advance

It would be helpful to post those same pictures I asked for/you gave me in PM here. ;)

After looking at those pictures and reading this post, it sounds like it was sleeved already from the factory, so I would sleeve it again. I do not recall seeing that cap on my VGA plugs and by your wording it was already sleeved so as I said, it makes sense to sleeve it again.

Last edited:
I would have just sleaved over it. A lot of devices have in-line capacitors (many USB cables, etc as well)

Itachii, for clarity, are you individually sleeving each cable? Is that why you are having trouble??

Itachii, for clarity, are you individually sleeving each cable? Is that why you are having trouble??

Yes, sorry that I didn't mention it.I use 3mm paracord and I sleeve each cable individually. In order to sleeve it though, I have to remove the capacitor and solder it back to the cable if I choose to do so, which is really dangerous I guess since any fault to the wiring or the soldering could possibly fry my card or my PSU. Any ideas? :/

I might leave them as they are.. Too much risk for 2 cables but I don't like it on the other hand. I will check on the cable that I ruined if I can pull it apart carefully. Now, I saw somewhere in the forum once some thread-like cable combs to keep the sleeved cables in order. How are they called?

Ok, so I was able to sleeve it really near the capacitor and hide the capacitor behind the cables. All I'm doing now is using some thread to make nods and keep the cables in line:

http://s4.postimg.org/yts21gifh/IMG_0447.jpg

The pic after finishing the sleeving. I went heatshrinkless and I've made some mistakes on the tips, overheated it with the lighter. I'll be more carefull on the next and I will definetely remake it when I order more paracord. What do you think?

Looks pretty good.

Also, any reason you're not posting the images via the forum tool?
It'd be nice to see them in-line with your posts.

For some reason attach files doesn't exist in my toolbar -.- I don't know why, I'm pretty aure it existed yesterday :p Anyway, I'm currently sewing the cables to make them more easy to work with, will post screen as soon as I finish it!

Its going to look awesome!

ALso note, using 3rd party links, more than likely after lack of use, they will eventually go away. Host here at the site. :)

insertimg.jpg

Ohw god sorry! I was used to the "attach file" option I totally passed by this :D. Ok so here is how the cables were and how I made them:

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

Ok so I finished it!! :D The outcome is satisfactory for my very first time sleeving a PSU. Here are 2 pics to show you guys how it became. Thanks again for all the help and the info you've put into this (Case needs some cable management but that will happen and I get my 2.5" HDD)

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

Having just finsished my first attempt as well I wanted to say yours looks great! The paracord right up to the end like that was hell for me to achieve ( to be honest I actually didnt get anywhere near as nice a result as your pics!) Way to go !

Having just finsished my first attempt as well I wanted to say yours looks great! The paracord right up to the end like that was hell for me to achieve ( to be honest I actually didnt get anywhere near as nice a result as your pics!) Way to go !

Hey Knoober. Thx a lot! :D All it needs is patience :) I saw your thread and I have to say that white paracord is hell to work with if you're going for the heatshrinkless method ;/ Any possible mistakes stick right out due to the contrast. What I did was to get a PCI cable and sleeve it over and over again untill I made it perfectly. That gave me the general idea on how to work with the cable, how long to cut the paracord, how much to heat the tip, where and so on! Your first attempt is pretty nice as well considering you had to work with a semi-modular PSU. Keep it up! :)

Thanks I consider it workable :) you're absolutely right about that white. Shows up real bad if you happen to be eating pb&j at the time as well! I'm not gonna quit.... I just hope it's a looooong time before another attempt is made.

BTW those pictures are from a distance for 2 reasons. 1) to get the whole psu in view and 2) so that only I can see the flaws :)

Back