• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are dyes bad for your system????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@Silver, I agree, I'm not sure what PEX tubing it, I only have acrylic (not advertised as plasticizer free), Bloodshed red primochill LRT and Tygon E-1000 (supposedly plasty free). I'm roughly 2k miles from home and no timeframe when I get back (life of an over the road truck driver :cry:). I'm really starting to think that plasticizer is the main culprit, and it's just enhanced with dyes in a loop, but I would bet some dyes are much more inferior than others.

I would have to agree that there might be some reason to think some dyes might be safe(r) to run than others. Which ones though, I would test the mayhems dyes, primochill intensifier states not to operate above 85f, to me that means there might be baking or separation happening when the water warms up and Fesser dyes seem to be the worst ones when staining is concerned from all the forums I've browsed. My concern is still separation of the dye when left sitting for periods of time, this might of been solved by the dyes I found, but when dealing with a manufacturer they won't ship to a residence, so I might not be able to get my test samples :bang head. Still trying to resolve this, might have to make some friends that own a business and ship there.

@ATM green means good to go, any other color you should put it in your car? and if you check your rad and the water is brown, time to flush?

Edit: after some more research, the dye I am talking about is used in Clorox's famous 409 formula, along with the bright yellow dye, I'm starting to think I need to try this stuff out.

Last edited:
yeah, im going to be testing some of the mayhem's red pastel dye in my loop once i get my stuff together to make an order of a few needed things.
from what i read, mayhem's seems like it is probably the best bet.
if i had the money for all new hard tube fittings, i would swap over to that as well, but dont have that, so we shall see how it does with some darkside tubing and mayhems pastel dye

Ingredients:
Aqua Bidestillata
Ethylene-Glycol / Ethanediol - Feser Base T
Inhibitors
UV-color pigment

right from the MSDS for fesser dyes.

lol thanks but I meant the UV LED and the dye together. Some say it needs cold cathodes for best results.

as for PEX, it's meant to replace copper in residential plumbing.
I just happen to have a plumber next door who helped me set it all up :)

@dyckah
Cool! We shall see what happens a few month from now I guess eh?

What's your tubing? Advanced LRT?

lol thanks but I meant the UV LED and the dye together. Some say it needs cold cathodes for best results.

as for PEX, it's meant to replace copper in residential plumbing.
I just happen to have a plumber next door who helped me set it all up :)

@dyckah
Cool! We shall see what happens a few month from now I guess eh?

What's your tubing? Advanced LRT?

tubing is currently advanced LRT, but its just a temp thing, as it is the wrong color for my build, just had some white tube laying around, and the red tube i had purchased did not work with my BP compression fittings, so when i buy the dye, i shall also buy some red Darkside tubing from dazmode.
and it would be nice to know about the LED UV stuff.
going to buy some UV tubing for my intel PC, and would like to know if i can just run a UV LED strip to light up the tubing, or if i should just go and get the cathode tube. LED strip is much easier, as i can just plug it into the fan controller and forget about it.

I would think the cathode would radiate the light more as the led would be more focused. For a res, the led shining into would suffice, but to light up all the tubing a cathode would work better I think.

I wasn't saying anything was wrong with the dye, just it's the ones I've read the most complaints', but with the ethyl glycol in it, I would be that would leech plasticizer from tubing faster than normal, you aught not to have that problem. One more thing to mention, they say fessers' UV doesn't last long, I wonder if that was in part to the plasticizer absorbing it, I know that the UV dye will lose it's reactiveness to UV lights after time, but people would complain that it only lasted a few weeks, could this of been caused from the plasticizer? Will be interesting to see your results.

@dyckah Look forward to your results.

Isn't it nice when people come together discuss something rationally and determine it's time to test ideas out, I mean what could possibly go wrong here :confused: :rofl: :chair:. Hopefully I will have everything up and running to test something in a month or so.

I want a really red res, and figure worst case senario is that my temps go up, my blocks get a little clogged, and then i need to clean everything.
not a big deal, imo.

I want a really red res, and figure worst case senario is that my temps go up, my blocks get a little clogged, and then i need to clean everything.
not a big deal, imo.

The res I have I'm putting a RGB led in the bottom to light up the anti-cyclone du-a-mahicky thing-a-mah-bobber. This guy used cathodes and I liked how it lit up everything. I'm sure there are more examples but were getting off topic sorta, lol.

Ordered & paid
Should arrive on the 3rd :thup:

:drool: look forward to hearing your thoughts after using some dyes after awhile, in for the show so long as the :popcorn: don't run out.

Can't wait to see the results. Good luck gentlemen. Hope you don't mind dyed blocks and reservoirs. :p

If it dyes the res, oh well, worst case, I buy a new one, best case, I just keep using red dye!
If the block ends up getting stained, I'm sure it'd buff out if I polish enough!

I remember seeing a acrylic res around here that was dyed red or blue, can't recall which color it was. It could have been a film or layer of plasticize but I was never sure.

I remember seeing a acrylic res around here that was dyed red or blue, can't recall which color it was. It could have been a film or layer of plasticize but I was never sure.

Guess I'll let you know :)
I'm also going to get some temp readings to see if dyes really inhibit the cooling capacity of water.

I'm also going to get some temp readings to see if dyes really inhibit the cooling capacity of water.
They don't, at least you won't be able to measure the differences with typical equipment and methods.

I never heard dyes would do that in the first place.

They don't, at least you won't be able to measure the differences with typical equipment and methods.

I never heard dyes would do that in the first place.
Hmm. I was reading that adding anything hurts water's cooling preformance.
Guess that doesn't apply unless I run pure dye lol

I don't really see dyes staining acrylic unless your running a hot system. I mean some dyes are designed to stain plastics, and some are designed for non-stain properties. If something is staining copper than it's probably a dye meant for staining, I would avoid that particular dye, it just means that company got what it could to sell, not very thoughtful of them. can't wait to hear the first set of updates, I so wish I was at home so I could join in the fun (experiment).

Good Luck!

@Silver, I would think there are too many variables that would affect a broad decision as to whether they help or hurt, at worst it might take away .001% heat absorption away for the 100ppm solution you might have, or something ridiculously crazy like that. I mean like you said if you were to run pure Dye (be interesting to see how fast it clogged after powering up) that might be a different story.

Back