• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are dyes bad for your system????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
oh, now thats a funky shade of purple!
if i wanted a purple, thats the purple i would want!

Same, I was going for a dark red, but got happy with the blue and didn't stop at the one blue drop, oops, but works great for a test platform.

Just thought I'd toss this update on the Dyes I had sitting up on a nice shelf looking cool not doin a thing, literally, I figured after the 5 days it would of at least started to separate, maybe the changing temperatures are creating more movement that I would of thought.

dye week1a.jpg

I didn't care for how dark that turned out, was tryin to get a picture from where it is resting peacefully so as to not upset the process of particulate settling. Used a cheap Canon Powershot to get the flash timing so it would bounce off the wall and illuminate the fluid, I was too lazy to try and set up lights behind it, it's what I get for not picking a better sport for this test.

dye week1.jpg

If any of you out there that are reading this have used dyes in your loop, feel free to tell us about the dyes, tubing and other components you used and how long if at all you ran into problems.

Time for a tear down.

My new GTX 780 can't fit into the top Pcie slot, so it's stuck in the bottom running at Pcie 2.0 x4 :-/
I think this is the cause for the 10 day ETA to fold a single WU...

Pics of the loop will be taken and shared here of course :)

btw, I'm up to 40 drops of dye in the loop now. Double what I started with.

Wow seriously, that seems like a lot of drops, you just went with that UV Blue though right? I read the UV fades over time, I wonder where the pigment has gone? I finally got my loop up and running, so far so good.

Finishedloop.jpg

I didn't want to waste a lot of acrylic tubing for the complicated bends, so I just went simple flexible tubing, might toss a drop or two of that dye in there sense I have 2 gallons of distilled water left over from rinsing and cleaning leak testing refilling cleaning and fillign again, this thing holds just over 1/2gal of water, haven't done any test yet other than a quick Prime test to see how much it increases water temp. I might not have put enough TIM on the CPU temps got up there pretty quick. Up there be relative, they hit 48c package and 42c socket after 10 minutes, far better than the H100i :rofl: Will post more pics once I Figure out where to post them, not really case modding or anything, maybe I'll just start one here in watercooling?

I would yeah.
Also, very clean case! :)

Where has the dye gone to?
Nobody knows, though a few here already have placed bets.

They are thinkin' in my CPU block.
Time will tell when I tear it down. I'm building the new case now.

I'm betting it's still floating around in there, just lost it's coloring cause the UV pigment faded out. If your seeing increased temps, then I doubt any dye has deposited itself anywhere other than maybe a dead zone in a rad.

Thanks, I still got work to do on this loop, but it's up and running.

Time for a tear down.

My new GTX 780 can't fit into the top Pcie slot, so it's stuck in the bottom running at Pcie 2.0 x4 :-/
I think this is the cause for the 10 day ETA to fold a single WU...

Pics of the loop will be taken and shared here of course :)

btw, I'm up to 40 drops of dye in the loop now. Double what I started with.

Still working towards this. Time has not been on my side as of late.

Picking up more wood for the case tomorrow and a bit of braided PVC tubing to run some tests on. :)

tried it in one month ruied some nice clear tube and spent a bit of time cleaning the res, will never do it again!!!!!!!
the primochill tube in the color i want might be 3 bucks a foot, but that's just the cost........

tried it in one month ruied some nice clear tube and spent a bit of time cleaning the res, will never do it again!!!!!!!
the primochill tube in the color i want might be 3 bucks a foot, but that's just the cost........
Plasticizer?

and the dye.
how are you doing a work unit in 10 days with a 780?
somthings wrong with your set up, and it's not pcie 2.0 x4.

and the dye.
how are you doing a work unit in 10 days with a 780?
somthings wrong with your set up, and it's not pcie 2.0 x4.

False reading from the FAH client. I'm down to 3 min 11sec TPF :) So only a few hours.

And pcie 2.0 x4 is all the bottom slot can supply even though the tops slot is empty. No BIOS options to change that either :(

moving the card will not gain you anything.
the folding client takes a few percent to run before it gets accurate.

oh, here's how your nice, clear stuff might look in a month

Attachments

• PIC_1014.JPG
    PIC_1014.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
moving the card will not gain you anything.
the folding client takes a few percent to run before it gets accurate.

Still want to make a new case though :)
I was trying to find a new chart on PCIe bandwidth in games, W1zzard made one but I'm not sure if he made a new updated chart...

Bump.....

We should be over a month now or two. Wondering how everyone's broken down dyes and stained gear are doing? :p

Bump.....

We should be over a month now or two. Wondering how everyone's broken down dyes and stained gear are doing? :p
My water now looks like it did before I added dye.... :-/

Sorta looks like the flow has reduced a bit...
I need to source plexiglass or similar, cheaper materials to finish the new case before I can tear down and investigate.

my dye looks exactly the same as it did when i first filled it up.
the level in my reservoir has gone down a bit, but i think that is maybe just from the air bubbles bleeding out, the dye is too opaque, i havent seen any bubbles in it right from the start, even though i know they are most likely there.
the top 15mm of the res(the amount the coolant has gone down) is just as clear as it has always been, temperatures are still around the same off the ambient temp.
probably wont tear down the loop until 6 months-1 year unless i start seeing problems appearing.

my dye looks exactly the same as it did when i first filled it up.
the level in my reservoir has gone down a bit, but i think that is maybe just from the air bubbles bleeding out, the dye is too opaque, i havent seen any bubbles in it right from the start, even though i know they are most likely there.
the top 15mm of the res(the amount the coolant has gone down) is just as clear as it has always been, temperatures are still around the same off the ambient temp.
probably wont tear down the loop until 6 months-1 year unless i start seeing problems appearing.

Interesting...

You are using that pastel dye right?

Back