• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are dyes bad for your system????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, haven't had the time to tear it down yet. Temps still haven't changed though!

kinda almost a fushia now.
a bit of a dark pink/purpleish.
edit... heres how it looks now.. looks more pink irl than it does in the picture.
purpleish pink.jpg
and heres how it looked when first installed.
IMG_20150620_164423.jpg

Well that's an interesting colour...

I knew most dyes fade but change colour? :sly:
Guess we will find out when you tear down!
Looks like your tubing is stained too...

Outside of tubing is still same color, put a piece of unused stuff beside it to compare. Light is just bad for the current picture. But who knows what the inside of the tube will look like. But I tilt the case from side to side to see if the res is stained, and it still looks clear!

It's red tubing. Cpu block has clear top, and it doesn't hardly even look red unless I have red led's turned on in block.

cant get a good pic right now with the lighting i have. i'll have to bring up a lamp from downstairs or something.
i'll just take lots of pics when i tear it apart, purple coolant isnt what i want!
on another note, was reading up on the dye that i have, and mayhem claims that it is the flux in the radiators that causes the red to turn purple

cant get a good pic right now with the lighting i have. i'll have to bring up a lamp from downstairs or something.
i'll just take lots of pics when i tear it apart, purple coolant isnt what i want!
on another note, was reading up on the dye that i have, and mayhem claims that it is the flux in the radiators that causes the red to turn purple

Sounds legit, but wouldn't the flux be washed out after a while?

On the bright side, purple isn't a terrible colour ;)

Sounds legit, but wouldn't the flux be washed out after a while?

On the bright side, purple isn't a terrible colour ;)

might be, but the darkside rad in my case was brand new when i put the dye in.
i had flushed it with distilled, but i could see the flux still sticking around.

Remember that Feser UV Blue I have? And that it didn't react to the UV LED I bought?

Well, seems I didn't shake the bottle before I put the dye in the loop.
Gave it a good shake today, dropped some on a paper CD case and voila! It glows.

20160124_220509.jpg

Since I have to tear down and re-do the tubing plus flush the plasticizer out I think I'll add a few drops again.
Might as well use it? :shrug:

EDIT: Added a bunch, the water is a deep blue now, but the UV LED isn't strong enough. I can see some UV reflections but not enough to warrant having that LED plugged in.
Now here's something dyes are good for:
20160124_224849.jpg 20160124_224843.jpg

The dye has stained the inner braiding of the cheap PVC tubing I have installed...
Hmmmm wonder what would happen if I soaked a length in the dye for a while. Perhaps I can colour the the whole inner braid?? That would look pretty cool if so I'd think!

Last edited:
It does look nice eh?
That's the problem... I can spend $50 to get some Tygon B44 4X IB and try staining the braid, but on the other hand I already bought 10 compression fittings so I can use copper flex and stainless steel flex lines. :-/

Wonder if I can colour the stainless steel flex lines with plasti-dip?

It still has its limits. If you bend far enough it'll most likely come loose from the hose.
That said, it's worth testing :)

Back