• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are dyes bad for your system????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Tear it down! Tear it down! Tear it down!
Had the chance yet dyckah?

Really curious to know now. I may find a different brand of dye to test IF I go with some clear Tygon tubing :)

No, been super busy lately, haven't had a spare moment for that. Looks like I may get a chance this weekend though.

No, been super busy lately, haven't had a spare moment for that. Looks like I may get a chance this weekend though.

No worries we've all been there eh? :(

Waiting on pics! hopefully you get the chance soon. It's been what, almost a year with that dye in there?

There's no better way to spend the may 2-4 than tearing down a loop! :D

Or am I being to pushy? :chair:

Just bought some Mayhem's X1 Clear concentrated coolant. I plan on draining, flushing and scrubbing the blocks and rads.
I went with the X1 since it's 90% Biodegradable, and since I'm on well water and have a septic tank, I didn't want to pollute the very water I drink or kill the septic system.

No dye I saw from mayhems was biodegradable, other than the premixed coolants but they stain like mad according to this OCN page.
Sucks, I wanted pastel ICE white, so I picked up some 3mm darkside LED's from Dazmode while I picked out the X1.

So? Did you ever tear your loop down? It's been way longer than Mayhem's recommends leaving the pastel in... 9-12 months is the lifespan of that stuff. Yours is going on at least 13 months if you filled up in August.

Just bought some Mayhem's X1 Clear concentrated coolant. I plan on draining, flushing and scrubbing the blocks and rads.
I went with the X1 since it's 90% Biodegradable, and since I'm on well water and have a septic tank, I didn't want to pollute the very water I drink or kill the septic system.

No dye I saw from mayhems was biodegradable, other than the premixed coolants but they stain like mad according to this OCN page.
Sucks, I wanted pastel ICE white, so I picked up some 3mm darkside LED's from Dazmode while I picked out the X1.

So? Did you ever tear your loop down? It's been way longer than Mayhem's recommends leaving the pastel in... 9-12 months is the lifespan of that stuff. Yours is going on at least 13 months if you filled up in August.

Finally had a chance to break down the loop. Approximately 2 years after starting with the dye. It had kind of turned purple? Water block was a little clogged, water ended up having a bunch of chunks in it, but ended up cleaning up fairly easily. Rad dance got some more bits out but not too much. Reservoir is not stained
I have some pics of it, but I'll have to post them later, the pics on my phone are too big to upload here, so I'll have to shrink them on my PC later.

The clear water with all the chunks was from me running fresh water through the system to flush it out before I took the rads out to do the rad dance, haha.
b37e3f42afa55e0c802adab979a83512.jpg b7cf45ac6371c1f7417a485f6061423b.jpg fcb7a76dfd8f53426122cdcb1e842489.jpg fe9496b51bdf3b9abefb800dda8ed888.jpg 518ef59aaca0a5392fb17e420bdf3682.jpg b40145da0504e5f1ea6b6fe2621c8429.jpg 0b4ee66a8be7cbf522b8c811d7fa170a.jpg

System was still running fine, with around normal temps. Only left the dye in for like 1.5 years over the recommended life...

Eeeewwwww, that's just nasty! See boys and girls? This is why we do not recommend using dyes/colored fluids.

Let this be a lesson!

System was still running fine, with around normal temps. Only left the dye in for like 1.5 years over the recommended life...

hahaha i can only imagine how much of a pain its going to be to clean your rads! take your rad/rads to home depot and see if they will put em on the paint shaker!
well now you know what they will say...ill just change the fluid every 4 months...cha as if!

hahaha i can only imagine how much of a pain its going to be to clean your rads! take your rad/rads to home depot and see if they will put em on the paint shaker!
well now you know what they will say...ill just change the fluid every 4 months...cha as if!
Well, nothing more is coming out via rad dance. Just going to run it and see if anything else comes loose over time. Might have to do a couple of coolant changes in quick succession if much more crud comes out.

Back