• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are dyes bad for your system????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The red has faded a little bit, but temps are still looking good! Starting to look a bit pinkish though. Well, not really pinkish, but not the deep rich red it was to begin with.

I'm wondering about the staining and after a bunch of rinses if it would still bleed colors even after say a switch to distilled water, etc.

I'm looking around for a used GPU to match up the one I have now for SLI but everytime I find one, they use Mayhems Pastel or some colored fluid and very curious to know if there's any stains or color bleeding from the blocks even after rinsing like crazy. I have a bad feeling if I ever pull the trigger on a GPU that was used in this kind of stuff.

My water is crystal clear...
It's been clear for the last few months. It looks as if I did a flush, but I haven't.

New case just needs some channels grooved into the wood to allow plexiglass to slide inside the frame. I'm going to push for that this weekend so I can tear down the loop and see what's up

I'm wondering about the staining and after a bunch of rinses if it would still bleed colors even after say a switch to distilled water, etc.

I'm looking around for a used GPU to match up the one I have now for SLI but everytime I find one, they use Mayhems Pastel or some colored fluid and very curious to know if there's any stains or color bleeding from the blocks even after rinsing like crazy. I have a bad feeling if I ever pull the trigger on a GPU that was used in this kind of stuff.

Well, res has dropped about ½" since I first filled the system, and not dropped any further yet, and the top of the red does not appear to be stained. Will probably flush it and clean loop at the 6 month mark, unless temps start rising soon.

So, are dyes really BAD, or do they just do as the name implies....dye everything they touch?
What is the performance impact of staining on watercooling equipment....Thats something I would like to know, and don't have the funds to test lol.

Dyes can be really bad, gunk up your blocks, clog up your system,and cause temps to be raised. Now, some people claim that this was old dyes, or plasticizers leeching off the tubes that caused this to happen. I figured worst case scenario I have to clean the hell out of my blocks, and rads and maybe replace my tube res.

So, all in all, just get translucent colored tubes right?

Meh, Im going brass/copper if/when I go to a custom loop.

More of a fan of the rigid look than the bendy stuff, and I know how to bend metal more than I do acryllics.

So, are dyes really BAD, or do they just do as the name implies....dye everything they touch?
What is the performance impact of staining on watercooling equipment....Thats something I would like to know, and don't have the funds to test lol.

Dyes can be really bad, gunk up your blocks, clog up your system,and cause temps to be raised. Now, some people claim that this was old dyes, or plasticizers leeching off the tubes that caused this to happen. I figured worst case scenario I have to clean the hell out of my blocks, and rads and maybe replace my tube res.
^^ This is what we are testing as well.

Dyckah has tubing you'd normally buy for watercooling, I have PEX installed. PEX has no plasticizer at all since it's used for plumbing, and my money is on the plasticizer leeching and the the dye sticking to the plasticizer rather than the dye itself being an issue.

We'll know more when we tear our loops down.

Want copper for your loop? Check out WitchDoctor's rig :drool:
Looks stunning with the copper lines he did! :thup:

I tore it down tonight. I will have pics probably tomorrow or later tonight.

CPU block was filled with gunk, looks to be small pieces of PEX, a hair and the copper was black.
I also have rust in the system now from the 2 fittings that came with the EVO Supremacy block... :(

Weird that the ek fittings would cause rust... And I think I'll be tearing mine down fairly soon here, the red has faded so much that it's almost more of a pink now. Or at least a very washed out looking red.

Weird that the ek fittings would cause rust... And I think I'll be tearing mine down fairly soon here, the red has faded so much that it's almost more of a pink now. Or at least a very washed out looking red.
Yeah i know. I wasn't expecting that to happen...
Copper black isn't rust. It's standard oxidation. Copper does that. Rust is exclusively a iron/steel thing.
Ahhh okay. I thought it was black because of the rust.
Some vinegar made the block shine once more though!

I also found where the dye went.... In my rad. Did the rad dance several times with vinegar and water till the water coming out wasnt too blue anymore. Screw dyes. Im not using them anymore... My dad suggested RV plumbing antifreeze.... Not sure if i should add some. I would like to hang my rad outside this year though.
Pics will come tomorrow. Im mobile right now :-/

This water came out of the rad during the rad dance....
The bowl was from the sink so no all that gunk wasn't from the rad lol
IMG_20151107_183920.jpeg
And here are the EK fittings that were on the block....
They are NOT magnetic so I have no idea why only these 2 fittings rusted....
IMG_20151107_170608.jpeg IMG_20151107_170601.jpeg

That's crazy but not surprised at all.

Wondering what the other member's loop is like as well.

Back