• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kosovos

hallo everyone, i know that my pc is obsolate but it works for me, here is the question i have
the mobo is gigabyte ga g31m es2l
the cpu intel e5300 @ 2.6 ghz
the problem comes here, that mobo is known to have millon oc problems, mine was fixed when i removed one ram stick :p
i can achieve speeds withought problem even at 3.6 ghz with the mormal voltage! but then i have to underclock my ram from 400 mhz to 370 cause the mobos multipliers are 2.66 3.33 and 4.00
3.12ghz is perfect stable with 240 fsb 3.33 multiplier and 800mhz for ram tested with prime 95 with max cpu temp about 60c under full load
now my mobo wont accept 300 fsb so the max i found stable is 280 with 2.66 multiplier and 745 mhz for ram, with that i can go up to 3.64 ghz cpu if i want but it gets a bit hotter and i am not comfortable with it and i dont like the ram underclocked.
So here comes the question, should i go with the normal 2.6 ghz and 3gig of ram at flex mod (2gig+1gig)
or its better to go at 3.12 ghz cpu and 2 gig of ram single stick? or any other suggestions

What OS are you using? Is it the 32-bit or64-bit version? What is the main use of the PC?

windows xp 32 bit home, pc is used for browsing internet, youtube and dota 1 :p

hmmm sinse morning i tried many things, as putting the extra 1gig of memory back, i restarted the pc many times and it seemed to hold the oc, here comes the new problem, i moved place one case fan from the graphic card to the cpu to achieve temps under 60 on prime 95 load and i had to set the graphic card to its normal settings cause it was overheating and then boom after restart it dropped the oc, now i restarted the pc some times with the graphic card in normal clocks tried to oc again and it succeded, now i am totally confused, it seems i can overclock when the graphic card is in normal settings with the 2 rams but if i want to oc with ocd graphic card i need to remove first one ram oc and then add the second card :p
btw graphic card is nvidia geforce 9500 gt, and i only oc it withought touching voltages, (i think i cant touch them even if i wanted too)

Last edited:
Update the bios to at least the FF version.
Mis-matched ram creates all sorts of problems.

With Windows XP-32 bit you will not likely experience any performance improvement going from 2gb of RAM to 3gb. So my advice would be to stay with 2gb and get the max CPU overclock you can, even if that means under-clocking the RAM. It is a well-known and generally accepted truth that the higher CPU clock speeds will give more performance improvement than increasing RAM speed or any other variable.

i can overclock with one stick of ram even to 3.75 ghz now save the settings to the cmos in bios and add the second ram after, even if the oc get droped i can reload it after one two tries if it is saved in bios profiles :O the problem now is that it will always drop the cpu oc if i have the graphic card oced :p and it wont load it unles i set the gpu in stock and restart pc :D the only way to work in max performance is to boot the pc with stoc gpu, oc the gpu and before i close it return the gpu to stock again :p it seems i got a very stubborn system :D

finaly stable oc at 3.5 ghz. thats the best i can do with fsb wall at 270 with both rams incerted, ram its a bit underclocked 720 mhz but it goes faster than the 800mhz in the stock cpu setings. i will try to oc and the graphic card when i get one more case fan . the 300 fsb oc gets droped with the second ram but due to overheating, (i got the intel cooler ) i couldnt go more than 3.75 ghz. so i preffered 1 more gig of ram runing in dual chanel a bit underclocked than a 0.25 ghz more cpu with less ram in single channel

so i preffered 1 more gig of ram runing in dual chanel a bit underclocked than a 0.25 ghz more cpu with less ram in single channel
You don't get dual channel unless the ram sticks are the same size.

I think some motherboards will run dual channel even when the sticks are different sizes but the dual channel effect only extends to the larger stick up to the amount of the smaller stick. So if you have a 2 gb stick in one slot and a 1 gb in the other then you have dual channel when using up to a total of 2 gb of RAM. If the application or applications use more than that then you are in single channel mode.

Back