• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to upgrade my PC a bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jrdnj15

Registered
Just got a little spare cash and want to upgrade my PC a bit however i don't know which component i should upgrade to give me the best overall performance. My main reason for PC use is gaming and as of lately i have been kinda getting into streaming and making youtube videos.

Judging from my PC specs below what do you guys think would be a good upgrade.

Video Card
I was thinking about trying to get a GTX970 and selling my HD 7970 but would the improvement be that noticable? I also thought about possibly going with a crossfire setup but I really am trying to stay away from that, I tryed it once before and had nothing but issues.

Ram
Was thinking about upgrading to 16gigs by buying 2X8GB. I currently have 2X4GB and could always just buy another set, however I cannot utilize all my ram slots due to the bulkyness of the vid card and my CPU heatsink things in the case are a little tight.

Hard Drive
I know newegg is haveing good sale on SSD's but will an SSD make an impact on the actual gaming performance or just speed up load times.

CPU
Upgrading that hasn't crossed my mind...

Thanks =]

I would do the 970 and SSD if you can swing both.

The 970 will be a great leap for you, especially at 1440p.
Probably about 150% of your current GPU's performance.

An SSD won't directly effect game performance, but it will make the system as a whole much much faster.

I would do the 970 and SSD if you can swing both.

The 970 will be a great leap for you, especially at 1440p.
Probably about 150% of your current GPU's performance.

An SSD won't directly effect game performance, but it will make the system as a whole much much faster.
I concur!

Awesome thanks for the reply just curious. When it get down to the fine details of videos cards i get a little confused because you have the GTX 970 but you have so many to choose from. I will probably be going to Micro Center to get it that way if i have any issues i can return it right to the store do you guys think you can check the link below and tell me which one would be my best bet to go with. They are all relatively close in price however I see some that are OC'ed some that are not like i said i get confused by the fine details.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=gtx+970 (Link to gtx970 at micro center. make sure store is set to Patterson, NJ as that is my local store)

Also would you guys recommend going for a 500GB SSD or just something big enough for windows and a few games like 120GB?

Back