• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP WITH FX 8350 OC TO 4.6 GHZ (FOR NOW) :d

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
After 20 minutes stress:

Attachments

• dopo 20 minuti stress.JPG
    dopo 20 minuti stress.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 115
Yup. Temps are getting up there. Probably 1.45v will top you out.
More multiplier until it fails.

Yup. Temps are getting up there. Probably 1.45v will top you out.
More multiplier until it fails.
After 20 minutes 4.6ghz vcore +0.075
I think i reached my limit, maybe i should try a diffrent LLC setting, I 'm not sure if AUTO pushes more than it's needed..i tried,didn't change much, one degree...so..can i maximize performance with lower core clock but fo rexample higher htlink and cpu nb, like i did with phenom II? i was able to get it stable with 3.9 GHz 2700nb clock at core 1.425 and nb vid 1.26. Fx cpus are different in this?

Attachments

• after 20 minutes stress.JPG
    after 20 minutes stress.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
...so..can i maximize performance with lower core clock but fo rexample higher htlink and cpu nb, like i did with phenom II? i was able to get it stable with 3.9 GHz 2700nb clock at core 1.425 and nb vid 1.26. Fx cpus are different in this?
Yes, you can do the same with FX.
1.35v CPU/NB should get you into the 2400-2600 NB frequency (IMC) range for the memory.
1.2v NB

Since you've reached your temp limit, you can try to bump the FSB a couple, for more clockspeed. Keep in mind that it will affect the HT link frequency, NB frequency, and ram speed also.

Yes, you can do the same with FX.
1.35v CPU/NB should get you into the 2400-2600 NB frequency (IMC) range for the memory.
1.2v NB

Since you've reached your temp limit, you can try to bump the FSB a couple, for more clockspeed. Keep in mind that it will affect the HT link frequency, NB frequency, and ram speed also.

yes as was doing with phenom. In that case i'll lower the multiplier to not go over 1600 mhz with ram

yes as was doing with phenom. In that case i'll lower the multiplier to not go over 1600 mhz with ram
Kilyan, at some point you should try and see if you can pass 2 hours of Prime Blend, to see if it's truly stable. Problem is you're already about as high as you want to go temp wise so you may need to drop the multi .5 to find stability. Scotty made a good suggestion on pushing the FSB a bit to get a bit more out of it. Maybe try dropping the multi and raising the FSB to 205 and see if it's still stable. You may be able to do so without dropping the Ram divider.

Kilyan, at some point you should try and see if you can pass 2 hours of Prime Blend, to see if it's truly stable. Problem is you're already about as high as you want to go temp wise so you may need to drop the multi .5 to find stability. Scotty made a good suggestion on pushing the FSB a bit to get a bit more out of it. Maybe try dropping the multi and raising the FSB to 205 and see if it's still stable. You may be able to do so without dropping the Ram divider.

hi i tried to play with nb clock and nb voltage on 4 GHz stock frequence. Seeing the pc woudn't boot, i tried to bump cpu nb voltage till 1.37v..at that point i resetted bios with the jumper. Now the pc tries to access the bios, but can't( i can see only the bios title,but there are no options). Since the pc can't access the bios, it reboots itself over and over trying to access....i took off the battery from the motherboard, hope in an hour or so i can reset all and none is ****ed up...it shoudn't, i read max is 1.4v for cpu nb voltage

hi i tried to play with nb clock and nb voltage on 4 GHz stock frequence. Seeing the pc woudn't boot, i tried to bump cpu nb voltage till 1.37v..at that point i resetted bios with the jumper. Now the pc tries to access the bios, but can't( i can see only the bios title,but there are no options). Since the pc can't access the bios, it reboots itself over and over trying to access....i took off the battery from the motherboard, hope in an hour or so i can reset all and none is ****ed up...it shoudn't, i read max is 1.4v for cpu nb voltage

Ugh!
I hope it works for you. Those symptoms usually mean a corrupt bios.
EDIT- try holding down the insert key while powering up the board. It forces loading the optimized defaults.

Last edited:
Ugh!
I hope it works for you. Those symptoms usually mean a corrupt bios.
EDIT- try holding down the insert key while powering up the board. It forces loading the optimized defaults.

i fixed it triggering the autorecovery mode:
shutted down the pc from the psu switch
waited 15 secs
pressed the power button and than switched on the psu
at this time holding the power button switched off the mother board completely.
than i simply switched the pc on from the usual power button and the bios was recovered from the automatic backup it does(i didn't know lol)
Now i'm safe:D
But i ferar a bit now playing with those settings...i thing i misunderstood, i touched the nb vid not the cpu nb,that's why if ****ed up...
But look a t the screen i posted earlier, can you tell me which is the cpu nb voltage?

Intel burn test is a remarkably bad benchmark for determining stability. It will let you scrape by without having the voltages you need and not crash.

I've been cranking these 8 cores for a while, nothing really seems to replace p95 for stability. Aida64 does almost nothing. I recommend you run the following benchmarks

- p95 for one full cycle to determine partial stability (takes around 15 minutes or so)
- run cinebench r15 for one cycle
- run ibt for 1 cycle on "high"

When you get to a speed you're comfortable with, then you should run
- p95 for 2+ hours. 2 has worked for me, others will yell kick, scream, fight you tooth and nail for 12-24 hours. The problem is the nature of the program, you WILL fail eventually. 2 hours is a pretty darn good margin for heavy computer usage in my experiences
- RoG real bench for 2-8 hours (no need to go higher)
- R15 several times
- unigine heaven AND valley
- Firestrike
- geekbench

These cover a huge gambit of compute tasks. 20 minutes of IBT is far from "stable" though (although it may very well be "stable", thats not a good way to sort that out). IBT seems to be more for cooling performance than it does for stability testing.

ALSO

your voltages are bouncing around quite a bit, definitely sort that.

Intel burn test is a remarkably bad benchmark for determining stability. It will let you scrape by without having the voltages you need and not crash.

I've been cranking these 8 cores for a while, nothing really seems to replace p95 for stability. Aida64 does almost nothing. I recommend you run the following benchmarks

- p95 for one full cycle to determine partial stability (takes around 15 minutes or so)
- run cinebench r15 for one cycle
- run ibt for 1 cycle on "high"

When you get to a speed you're comfortable with, then you should run
- p95 for 2+ hours. 2 has worked for me, others will yell kick, scream, fight you tooth and nail for 12-24 hours. The problem is the nature of the program, you WILL fail eventually. 2 hours is a pretty darn good margin for heavy computer usage in my experiences
- RoG real bench for 2-8 hours (no need to go higher)
- R15 several times
- unigine heaven AND valley
- Firestrike
- geekbench

These cover a huge gambit of compute tasks. 20 minutes of IBT is far from "stable" though (although it may very well be "stable", thats not a good way to sort that out). IBT seems to be more for cooling performance than it does for stability testing.

ALSO

your voltages are bouncing around quite a bit, definitely sort that.
For those tests i used prime 95 blend, as suggested, how i fix voltages? if i want to oveclock ht link, which is the parameterthat controls it's voltages? check my bios photos in the thread pls

- - - Updated - - -

Good job. :thup:

NB core = CPU/NB
Adding +0.75 ON CPU NB,and not NB VID :D, the pc bootd normally at 4ghz 2600 nb clock,now to testing
EDIT:the testing was succesful only adding +0.110

Last edited:
you could oc that ram to 1866 will probably do those timing/not sure?....4.6 should be easy like 1.45v...good chips can undervolt waay below that though.
I bump CP/NB up a decent bit, NB voltage as well. leave NB at 2200 Ht 2600....if you crank up NB you will have to throw way more voltage for 2600...
TIMINGS NOW: 9-9-9-27-36-1T
If i overclock ram, what is the voltage?nb vid?
PS:i'm subscribed to thread but do not receive mail notification anymore...i check regularly to see there is an answer, but why this?

Last edited:
you already running 1.65v? see if it will do it/run it with that. you should be able to do it with 2200-2400 easy...NB like 1.175-1.2v
I have to throw like 1.4v+ to do 2600...

yes i am, really so high from 1600 O_O?

Don't worry about that ram right now. Find a stable CPU clockspeed first.
Clockspeed is king, everything else is secondary.
Make changes one at a time, testing in between.

you already running 1.65v? see if it will do it/run it with that. you should be able to do it with 2200-2400 easy...NB like 1.175-1.2v
I have to throw like 1.4v+ to do 2600...

my aim is maximize performance even on lower clocks. On phenom II i reached nice 2700 nb on 3.9 GHz, i would like to do nearly the same, if nb clock is a performance boost for fx 8350 as well

- - - Updated - - -

not 1.4v meant 1.3-1.35v etc 1.4v ish....I don't know... some go as high as like 1.45 damn near 1.5v....that's more like 5ghz stuff though xD
i meant the ram clock, from 1600 to 2400 seems very high

- - - Updated - - -

i'll try to run 4.5ghz 2 hours blend test, because we seen 4.6ghz reached the max temp of 62°
So i'll leave alone nb clock?

- - - Updated - - -

not 1.4v meant 1.3-1.35v etc 1.4v ish....I don't know... some go as high as like 1.45 damn near 1.5v....that's more like 5ghz stuff though xD
and see that you are on water cooling, meon air;)

if i want to oveclock ht link,

AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf >> Page #18 shows the DEFAULT HT Link Speed to be 2600Mhz

Heads up FYI. Early bioses from many motherboard companies showed the HT LInk Speed as defaulted to 2200Mhz but MANY later bioses caught up with the time and AMD specs for FX processors. The good later bioses AUTO set the HT Link Speed to the AMD Default of 2600Mhz. So in reality you will not be overclocking the HT Link Speed unless you are clocking the HT Link Speed faster than 2600MHz.

From Page #18 AMD FX Performance Tuning Guide >> "In most single CPU socket configurations the default 2.6GHz HT Link value offers sufficient amount of bandwidth even for multi-GPU configurations."

RGone...

EDIT:
"kilyan" it probably would be to your advantage to get to a cpu speed of approximately 4.5GHz or maybe a little higher without screwing with all the other buss speeds. Like HT Link Speed and CPU_NB speed and at that 4.5GHz or similar to test with P95 Blend mode for at least 2 hours and see if you have any P95 Failures or if the Temps > CPU/Socket stays at 72c or below and if Core/Package temp stays at 62c or below. THEN you might attempt fine tuning other buss speeds that in the end will NOT trump CPU Speed. CPU Speed is KING.
END EDIT.

Back