• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to use a TV for a computer monitor.. with 3 gtx 980 sli.. Any suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sniperm

Registered
Hey guys, I just bought a computer today.. (5930k , 16g ram, 3 gtx 980 sli ) and now I need some monitors.. but I want something over 35" and under 43".. I've seen some youtube vids ppl using 4k Tv's... but wanted to know if anyone knows a better setup or affordable set up for my system.

My main use is for work... looking to get 3 monitors... but now that I have a gaming rig.. would also like to play some games.. :attn:

Any suggestions? would like to stay under $500 for each monitor..

Thanks,

Is this a good brand? sorry never heard of them before..

So with this if i use displayport.. I can get 144hz? and 60hz with hdmi port?

Not a clue, that's just what I could find that met your criteria in monitors. You're not going to get something like a Dell for anywhere near your budget.

You're using 980's, use all DisplayPort.

Got it!

I live next to brands mart..So Ill be checking them out before I make a purchase.. Thanx!!

You're welcome!

Also, I highly highly highly suggest against using a TV because of input lag.

You're welcome!

Came to add a +1 to this statement. The input lag on a TV can be significantly larger than a computer monitor. If you want to go with triple screens I would say 2560x1440 is what you will want to be looking at in your budget. Or you can look at getting a single 4K display or one of the Acer 2560x1440 IPS 144hz screens that reviews well. But you won't be able to get 3 of them with your budget.

The Seikis are MVA, better than TN. They won't be as good as IPS, but you can't get an IPS that size on that budget.

The Seikis are MVA, better than TN. They won't be as good as IPS, but you can't get an IPS that size on that budget.

With TV's the issue isn't the panel type, it's the internal processing introducing additional input lag.

The Seikis don't have much in the way of unnecessary processing, which is why they're cheap.

You're welcome!

Are we only talking on resolutions higher than 1080p? Right now there are millions of Console gamers gaming on TV's. Granted their not Gaming with a mouse and making twitch moves, but I've gamed on TV's a good bit and never noticed the input lag. Maybe I was lucky?

Are we only talking on resolutions higher than 1080p? Right now there are millions of Console gamers gaming on TV's. Granted their not Gaming with a mouse and making twitch moves, but I've gamed on TV's a good bit and never noticed the input lag. Maybe I was lucky?

No, I'm talking about any TV.
It's hard to notice with a controller, but it's there.

Pretty much all decent TVs nowadays have "game mode" or similar and the same applies to AV receivers. (For the latter, it's generally the cheaper ones that have less latency!)

I have been looking at TVs for like two months now. What ATM said is spot on. Something like this is pretty good (far outside your budget I know). http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TWFHELW?tag=rtings-tv-pm10b-20&ie=UTF8

The input lag is about 27ms, which puts you about 1-1.5 frames behind a gaming monitor at 60hz. You can go cheap on TVs, the Vizio E series is a good example, but your input lag will still be an issue. Further, if you cheap out on a TV you won't have 4:4:4 chroma and then using your TV as a workstation will just suck.

I really think you are better off staying with monitors, on the whole, because your budget doesn't allow for much else. I am willing to spend 2k on a TV, four times your budget, and I still come up empty. Really, the best you can do at the moment is the Samsung 7100, the Vizio E series, or the Sony W850B (for split uses - gaming / TV). But realize, and maybe it is because I come from plasma TVs, these new LED TVs can have and usually have lethal problems. Half the time - moreso than that for me personally, anecdotal evidence ftw - whether you get a good one is pure luck. I'm on return #5 to Best Buy because of unacceptable clouding, flash-lighting, radial banding etc., none of which existed on my plasma.

It may not seem like 15-20ms is a big difference, but it can be depending on the game. It isn't so much whether you notice it, its more or less that no matter what, someone else is that far ahead of you. Again, depends on the game and the skill level you play at, but seriously, I can only encourage you to stick with monitors unless you are doing single person games. Then, it doesn't matter. Anything below about 35-40ms will be unnoticeable to you in those scenarios.

If vsync is turned off, will that get rid of mouse input lag on a TV?

No. Although having it off means less lag because enabling v-sync adds lag.

Pretty much all decent TVs nowadays have "game mode" or similar and the same applies to AV receivers. (For the latter, it's generally the cheaper ones that have less latency!)

Which, depending on your gaming needs, will still put you behind real gaming monitors by 15 or so ms (at least). Again, may not seem like much, and isn't for most, but it could be and is worth knowing ahead of time.

It's hard to notice with a controller, but it's there.

Most console controllers have input lag of their own, somewhere in the neighborhood of 40ms. It all adds up. No point adding even more via your display.

TLDR: Stick with the advice given already. And let me add one bit...increase your budget / save. Why spend all that on display power only to gimp the end result?

PS ATM, school is over in two weeks and I only have my 4690k to 4.4 @ 1.25, so it's a dog. Gonna harass you when I have time so we can get this guy up to 4.8ish. Haven't breached 53 degrees C yet with Aida, so I have some head room.

Last edited:
Great input Mark!

And bring it on, I'll break out my i5 too if I need to.

Back