• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need advice on an am3 heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmbientFiction

Senior Folding Zombie
Somewhere in the top 100 folders for team 32
This will be on a 990fxa-ud3.

So I'm looking for a 120mm am3 sink that can handle the following:
1. Needs to be able to hold 38mm thick fan(s) and still have clearance over mushkin ridgeback.
2. Decently high k/w rating.

1 is the biggest issue the thermalright ultra120 is about 3 to 4mm too short from die to start of fins. Which has me having to use my high cfm deltas and sunons in pull mounted to the back side of the sink.

Not breaking the bank would be awesome but the clearance issue needs to be met before anything else.

Thanks in advance for your help,
AF

Can you not just raise the fans up a little on the fins, to clear the ram?

Are you hitting the fins or the fans?

What is the height of the RAM? How much clearance in the case?

Not sure of the exact height of mushkin ridgeback but as I stared before I need a heatsink that has an aprox 2 to 3mm height from die to fins over the thermalright ultra120. If I move the fan up I'll be loosing that ammount of space to cooling the fins. Plus it will add noise vibrations its not like I didn't try that first.

The 38mm(thick) fans jut out far enough to touch the ram and for the bottom of the fan casing to clear the ridgeback I need just a few more mm in height. Toss out some sinks I should look at for a replacement and I'll go from there.

First off it will make a difference slightly in cooling but even more in vibration. 2ndly how is a shorter heatsink design than I'm using right now even going to help this issue?
I'm not liking your tone.
Shorter makes no difference if the sink is thinner. More room for your 38mm fan.
Understand?

:shrug: this just seems to be a good fit is all. Why wouldn't it work? Or is it a cost thing?

Not saying it wouldn't work or be a good fit, but I know guys are concerned with getting the most reliable parts they can when folding 24/7.

Answering your question with a question.

In the last 8 years, don't you think that there have been any advancements made in HS technology?

I'm talking about reliability.
I didn't say there weren't better heatsinks out now, but I would say that any AIO on the market would be hard pressed to make it 8 years.

I wasn't talking about AIO's.
I'm of the mindset that an 8 year old HS is not going to be more reliable than a brand new HS of the same or better quality. Almost all of the quality direct pipe contact sinks perform better than the True, and almost any of the non interference coolers would solve his problem.

I wasn't talking about AIO's.
I'm of the mindset that an 8 year old HS is not going to be more reliable than a brand new HS of the same or better quality. Almost all of the quality direct pipe contact sinks perform better than the True, and almost any of the non interference coolers would solve his problem.

I agree with all that.
I was only talking about reliability because Bob asked why it wouldn't work...
The statement is generic in the fact that a heatsink is more reliable than an AIO.

This will be on a 990fxa-ud3.

So I'm looking for a 120mm am3 sink that can handle the following:
1. Needs to be able to hold 38mm thick fan(s) and still have clearance over mushkin ridgeback.
2. Decently high k/w rating.

1 is the biggest issue the thermalright ultra120 is about 3 to 4mm too short from die to start of fins. Which has me having to use my high cfm deltas and sunons in pull mounted to the back side of the sink.

Not breaking the bank would be awesome but the clearance issue needs to be met before anything else.

Thanks in advance for your help,
AF

Ambient,

Here's a used Scythe MUGEN-2 that I have on hand. I'm not sure if the physical dimensions meet your criteria but if so PM if interested in a reasonably priced transaction.

Back