• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Feedback!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smmachnik

Hi all,

I am not a PC wiz however I have done component replacement and hardware installing/etc before. I am confident I can build what I am looking to build but I would like to get input and suggestions on my build plan! I am not a hardcore PC gamer but will be gaming on it often so I do not need a high end $400 GPU. I want something reliable, fairly affordable, upgradeable, and able to run most games on fairly high settings. Also light overclocking may be in the future.

My (so far) planned build:
AMD FX 8350
Cooler Master 212 EVO
ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer AM3
Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1600 8gb or 16gb
MSI GTX 960 4gb (possible SLI in future)
700/800w Power (have had good experience with corsair & coolermaster)
already have a Seagate 1TB HDD
CD drive suggestions?
Case Suggestions? ($60-$120 that will fit the CM 212 EVO)

Any help and or suggestions are appreciated as I have been out of the game for a while! When making a suggestion please let me know of the reasoning! I didn't look close at the numbers but I believe this build will keep me around $900???

Thanks!

Scrap your amd ideas. Get a 4690k and moderate z97 motherboard for best gaming performance.

Also the gtx 960 is overpriced at the moment. Recommend you wait roughly 3 weeks before buying a gpu.

I would go with this build for now, and grab a video card after the new series are released as bob said. Case is more or less a place holder, grab one that supports ATX boards and at least 11" video cards in that price range.

Dlaw,

After some research i have decided to go intel. Your example build is excellent i thank you both for the help! However, should i not get a beefier power supply? Especially for upgrading in the future? Just a route ive been thinking to take. Obviously i can always add power as needed later too

Thanks!

520w will handle any Intel cpu and any single gpu with both overclocked. If you want 2 gpus in the future, get bigger.

I ran a rebrand of that PSU with an overclocked PhenomII quad core and a 550Ti. Neither of those are all that efficient, but that system is still going strong almost a year after I sold it, and almost a year and a half after I put the PSU in. It'll do fine for modern Intel hardware and a single modern video card.

Back