• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Theoretical] Can I use a Touch-Screen Laptop as a Keyboard/Mouse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AnimeMania

1) If I purchased a Windows based touch-screen laptop with an Ethernet port.
2) If I purchased a desktop computer with 2 Ethernet ports.
3) If I purchased/made a crossover Ethernet cable.
4) If I got my hands on a remote desktop control software.
Would I have everything I needed to use a Touch-Screen Laptop as a Keyboard/Mouse?

Not knowing much about remote control software, here is what I am assuming would occur. I connect the Ethernet ports of the two computers together with the crossover Ethernet cable. The desktop computer would still have an Ethernet port free to connect to the internet. I install the remote desktop control software on both computers and I should be able to control the desktop computer from the touch-screen laptop. I would be able to see what is on the desktop screen on the laptop. I could use the touch screen keyboard and point and select functions of the touch-screen laptop to control the desktop. So, here are a few questions:

1) Will this work as I imagined?
2) What kind of security risks does remote desktop control software pose and are they greatly minimized by
a) Having the two computers on a "closed" network.
b) Having separate Ethernet ports for the remote desktop control software and the internet. Can I specify that remote access is only available from one specific Ethernet port or only from a specific computer?
3) Can I use the keyboard and mouse of the desktop computer while the remote access is going on?
4) Does running remote desktop control software greatly slow down the desktop computer?
5) If the desktop computer has a higher resolution or multiple screens, can the remote desktop control software shrink down the image on the laptop so that all the screen(s) are visible, as well as allow you to scroll around to see everything?

It's possible you could do this with Synergy.
You only need a router and two computers with Ethernet. (It works over Wi-Fi as well, but I don't think the results would be acceptable.)

It seems like if I used Synergy, the two computers would display two different screens, like a computer with two monitors and the way I did it, the two computers would display the same image.

In that case, why not buy a Wacom tablet? They have ones with built in displays.

Would be a lot better than rigging up a laptop.

The Wacom Interactive Pen Displays are really nice, but also really expensive. I already have a nice Windows touch screen laptop, desktop computer, plenty of Ethernet cables (not a crossover one, but I might be able to make one from a regular one) and I can download free remote desktop software. I have pretty much all the parts, I was just wondering if it would work and the security risks involved with using remote desktop software. It was just something I wanted to play around with for the WOW factor and proof of concept. I am always thinking up crazy things that I wonder if computers can do, just look at my posts.

Ah, I was thinking more from a practical side than a "just because" application.

What about AirMyPC?

I was looking at a remote control setup for my pc as well. There are various free progs from the play store & elsewhere that allow certain hardwares/remotes to work under android. Android being my ideal way as a handheld device. I only want it to play my music and video plus switch between tv and whatnot-from my phone essentially. I have not found anything I would use just yet nor am I willing to put money through the play store for any reason whatsoever. I payed for two different aps and as soon as I modded my phone slightly the apk's no longer worked. Good luck

Back