• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Small High Resolution Monitor-like Devices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AnimeMania

I was wondering if any of you could give me some ideas about small monitor-like devices that I might connect to a computer through standard graphic card connections, HDMI, VGA. DVI, Displayport, etc. I would like the resolution of the device to be 1920 × 1080 or higher and the screen size to be roughly from 4 to 11 inches. The use would probably be more decorative than functional. I have been looking at small HDTVs, video systems in cars, video monitors for cameras, monitors for video games, etc. and I am coming up blank.

Oscar was exactly the type of thing I was looking for, but the price is a little high, $300 U.S. not including shipping to the U.S. In my search I found this,

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HDMI-VGA-2AV...nch-1920-1200-B101UAN02-IPS-LCD-/161141075198

I might barely be able to assemble it, but it doesn't have a case to put the board in and doesn't come with the power supply (simple purchase) and it seems like the board might not be able to run the monitor at it's full resolution. I am not knowledgeable enough to determine this.

I've been working on something similar and have come up with a partial (and cheaper) solution that may work for you. Extend the screen to a *tada* smart phone or tablet! Here's the thing, older smart phones are getting massively cheap and have plenty nice screens and resolutions. Depending on what device you're looking for, I've seen dual core 4 inch display type devices for under $30. As for extending it as a second monitor, (sorry I don't have a link for you) I found an app that will let you use an android device as a second screen. It cane up rather quickly in a search so if you think it's a good idea and can't find it, post back and I'll see if I can. Hope this helps :)

I have been studying cell phones, but was kind of looking for a wired solution just to reduce lag time. I am examining all possibilities though. This kind of ties in with my other post about using a touch screen laptop as a keyboard. As of this moment, it seems like a touch screen monitor would be the choice as a keyboard/mouse replacement. I would like to mimic something similar to the Acer Iconia laptop on a desktop computer. It might be nice to have this touch screen monitor also be intelligent so I can do internet searches while the computer is doing something else. This would be easy enough with an Android or PC computer stick attached, but this would also use one of the HDMI ports. I also would like to have lots of tiny monitors connected to the computer displaying the same or different content as the main monitor. I will not be buying a new computer for a few months, so I will continue to look at different small monitor solutions. I very interested in small monitors with (HDMI-In) ports like car rear view mirror monitors, car video systems, camera video monitors, make it yourself small monitors on eBAY and Amazon for raspberry pi, digital picture frames (rare to have HDMI-In), and touch screen monitors. All-In-One computers can have HDMI-In ports, but I haven't discovered any that let you to use the touch screen to control another computer. I am also looking into tablets, cell phones, touch screen laptops which let you control another computer with "remote desktop" or "remote KVM" (Keyboard/Video/Mouse) software, there is also software that lets you use these devices as a second screen like you mentioned. In terms of price and usability, the most promising are used touch screen monitors off of eBay (very cheap, but quite large and have good resolutions which is good as a keyboard/mouse replacement). Then, the make it yourself small monitors on eBay and Amazon for raspberry pi, they come in a variety of resolutions and sizes, with and without touch screens and are relatively reasonably priced, but have lots of loose wires since they don't typically come with cases. If you don't have building skills, the car video systems and camera video monitors are a reasonably priced alternative in a variety of resolutions and sizes, with and without touch screens.

Back