• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I got issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh547

Earlier today I bumped my keyboard which turned on my computer. I was in a hurry so I reached down and held the power button in to turn it off. I am almost positive that it was not on long enough for Windows 7 to start to load but now I got corrupted. It takes forever for Windows to load and when it does I have no sound, network, and get an error that event loger failed to start.

So far I have run chkdsk, sfc, and netsh Winsock reset. Sfc did say there were some files it could not repair but I cannot make heads or tails out of the cbs log.

I really don't want to spend my holiday weekend reinstalling Windows, anything else I can do?

try a full cmos reset, pull the battery and move the jumpers for an hour or two.

Battery pulled and jumpers jumped. Will have to wait until tomorrow morning to test, it is past my bed time.... Getting old sucks lol.

No luck. Backed up the important files and now reinstalling Windows

Thanks for the suggestions

Sometimes that's best. I had to do that last weekend myself after some network driver issues.

It takes forever for Windows to load and when it does I have no sound, network, and get an error that event loger failed to start.

Sounds like you borked the HDD or SSD and thus required to reformat for the HDD or SSD to work correctly. Avoid bumping the HDD or the like.

Looks like symptoms of a borked drive.

Sometimes that's best. I had to do that last weekend myself after some network driver issues.
Yea this whole episode made me realize I haven't had my puter open for almost two years :eek: talk about attack of the dust bunnies. I know with XP i tried doing a fresh install once a year.

Sounds like you borked the HDD or SSD and thus required to reformat for the HDD or SSD to work correctly. Avoid bumping the HDD or the like.

Looks like symptoms of a borked drive.

TBH i thought it was worse than that. I have a background in robotics (specifically arc welding). I know several brands have issues where cycling power too fast will actually fry servo drives. My expectations on getting it back up were not high but so far so good

Little late now but did you try fixmbr? I've used that and system restore numerous times, because I have my main box set up just as I want it, and I've lost quite a few codes and such over the years.

Back