• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Journey to geothermal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Those are pretty sweet temps for a pair of 290's and a Fx 8350 running 1.525 V. Very nice Thick8!

I'm just happy it's up and running. I've been "grounded" for 8 weeks. Just hope I remember what all the buttons do :eek:

IMG_0420.JPG

Wow. :drool: Amazing setup! Great temps btw. Looks like the project was a major success. Congrats! :salute:

As long as they have Sweet tea on the front porch and an extra large strait jacket I'm good.
Sweet tea? :sly:
Heheh Iced tea up here :p

So now that the loop is up, I'd say it would be great for some benchmarking :)

Hi Guys,
Been playing games for the last couple of days. I played Skyrim yesterday at my signature settings for 8 hours straight at 5918x1080 with ALL the eye-candy maxed. Of course I have all the HD mods installed. I monitored temps on a 4th monitor. GPU temps never went over 46 and CPU never went over 54. I checked the water temp about 6 hours into it and it was at 27.2c.
I've been playing with the OC today to try and bring down my vcore-1 temperature. All I've seemed to do is raise the CPU temp during Prime.
The info on this boards best BIOS voltage settings is incredibly fragmented. Anyone have some pics of their BIOS settings?

vcore-1 high.JPG

Last edited:
I've read that it might be better to only use 2 RAM modules instead of 4. I could swap out the 4x2GB for 2x8GB.

EDIT: I just put my finger on the VRM heatsink. It's warm but not hot. Maybe I need to get better thermal pads. The chokes on the other hand are blazing hot! I wonder if that's where my temp issue is. The original heatsink didn't touch these but maybe they need some cooling too. Do MB full blocks usually cool the chokes as well as the VRMs?

Last edited:
do you have a fan blowing air into that area?
when you go to water you take airflow away from the board and it must be replaced.

do you have a fan blowing air into that area?
when you go to water you take airflow away from the board and it must be replaced.

Very true in a open platform PC like on a bench or a cluttered box with tubes and wires everywhere.

I've seen a couple of pic where people have mounted small copper heatsinks to both the chokes and CAPs. I think I'll do that. I have a bunch of BeQuiet fans that I had mounted on the radiator. I guess I could fabricate a mount for one of them.

CAPS don't get hot. No need. Chokes aren't heat sensitive, but if you got some of the old copper heat sinks, they will pull overall heat off the board, won't hurt.

Better to remove the heat through a heatsink than through the PCB. I'd still have to add a fan though. Maybe a VRM/choke waterblock combo. I start back to work (CATE school) in two weeks. We're supposed to have desktop CNC cutters and 3D printers this year. I may have to make something. Hmmmm.

On a side note. How do I upload my Prime benchmark to Marsenne.org?

Cons right. If you ever see images of a waterblock on a video card, you'll notice the caps/chokes aren't being directly cooled by the block.

Here are a few examples.......

FC970-GTX-ACX_NP_fit_1200(1).jpg 37d.jpg

Last edited:
In my excitement I did not get any pictures of my cooling manifold

I was so worn out and dirty by the end of the day I didn't get any pics of my copper manifold. I'll draw up a picture of what I made later.

I fully realize this thread is over a year old but I would really like to see the sketch of the cooling manifold at the bottom of that hole, IMO that is some serious missing information!

Also since it's had a year of operational time what are the results today as this is one of the hottest summers we've ever had in South Carolina?

Have you had any critters growing in the water and what did you do to keep that from happening?

Thanks, Nice project, and totally Killer gaming setup!

Ryan

They guy is 35' down. I doubt summer is doing much to the underground temps. Perhaps only the above ground portions are being affected...

...curious to know though..

Back