• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[SOLVED] M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ CPU LED on. MemOK! flashing. No Boot.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Peterson2k4

Overnight the PC was on and downloading something. I woke up and I had a black screen and the CPU LED on. I pulled the my memory out and left 1 stick in. The PC booted up fine. After an hour or so, the PC froze and the CPU led is back on.

I unplugged the OS drive and now, when I push the BIOS key on the Motherboard, the CPU led is not on. When I turn it on from the case, the CPU led is on. The PC does not post either way.

Often I get memok flashing at me but I figure that is because of me swapping sticks out trying to get it back on.

All fans are spinning when PC is on.

My keyboard Num Lock key does not turn on but the light on my headphones does light up (both USB)

UPDATE 1: I had the PC unplugged for a bit. When I plugged it in I had no LEDs on. However neither monitor is kicking in. I turned it off, then pressed the BIOS key and we are back to where we started.

UPDATE 2: again I left it unplugged. I plugged it back in and turned it on by the case button. No lights but no screen. I pushed the mem OK button and that is now flashing. The CPU led is off. I have not touched the BIOS key this round.

UPDATE 3: I found an internal speaker and check for any beeps. No beeps. I removed my memory to check and make sure the speaker worked. It did.

UPDATE 4: . I swapped out video cards and was able to get a picture. I jumped into BIOS, but before I could do anything the computer froze. I restarted it again but now I'm back to nothing.

UPDATE 5: I have changed the GPU's PCIe slots. This has not changed the situation.

UPDATE 6: when I turn on the PC no red lights of death come on. However, if I push the MemOK! Button, the CPU light turns on and the MemOK! Light blinks. When I turn it off and on again, the CPU light is off but the MemOK! Light continues to flash. If I power down and unplug, all red lights of death are gone.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Specs
GPU: GTX 660 3GB Sig 2 FTW
CPU: AMD FX 6300 (AM3+)
RAM: 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600 PC3 12800 (2x v73t4gnabki)/(2x corsair value select)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+

*UPDATE 7 [SOLVED]: the issue was with the PSU. Replaced it and all is well.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited:
Do you have another PSU you can try ? When you say "no lights" , does that include the green LED that is supposed to be on when the unit is powered up ?

Thank you for replying.

The green light comes on. The red lights will flash around at the start of the boot. That is normal though. No light stays on or remains flashing.

A new development occurred since my initial post. (I'll post it in the OP). I swamped out video cards and was able to get a picture. I jumped into BIOS, but before I could do anything the computer froze. I restarted it again but now I'm back to nothing.

Tried booting with one stick of RAM?
Changed PCIe slots with the GPU to eliminate a possible PCIe slot problem?
What PSU? How old is it?

Thank you fro replying.

I have removed all RAM but one stick.
I have moved the RAM from one slot to another.
I have switched sticks of RAM.

This has not fixed the issue.

I will try the PCIe suggestion right away and get back to you.

The PSU is a bit old. Its a Corsair AX850. I bought it used and it was in a bitcoin miner before I got it so, it may be tired.

UPDATE

Move the card to another PCIe has not changed the situation. I appreciate the idea though ☺

Last edited:
OK. I'll try to get ahold of one. Thanks again for the suggestion. Hopefully that's all it is.

That's the second motherboard I've gone through. Any way to fix that or is is just dead?

If that's the second board, I'd be looking more at why it's the second board.

Back