• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Temp Monitor for Win 8.1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Val155

What is a free, yet safe CPU Temp program for Win 8.1. My rig specs are below. I ask because when I play certain games, they will perform excellent for a few hours, but then all of a sudden, the screen goes grey (I get the "d-sub" icon in the top left of screen) then my PC reboots. No error messages at all. I log back into game and am fine. Was wondering if my CPU gets hot at certain points in the game and restarts.

1 x CORSAIR CX series CX500 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
EVGA 04G-P4-2768-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support SC 4GB w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card
Intel Core i5-4670 Haswell Quad-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W BX80646I54670 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics
ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C11D-16GXL
Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE250BW

you can get realtemp or coretemp and they both work well. just if you decide on coretemp I would watch the install process to make sure that something else isnt coming in with it. have seem some nefarious stuff piggyback with it

Sounds like the GPU, not the CPU. I agree with dejo. HWMonitor covers that, too.

Sounds like the GPU, not the CPU. I agree with dejo. HWMonitor covers that, too.

What can I do about that? The case has a 120MM fan on the front and I have a 120MM fan on the back.

Is the GPU overclocked? You might try removing the heat sink and applying some good quality TIM. I've seen some improvement in temps doing that. Also, cleaning up the case with regard to wires and cables obstructing air flow can really help, as well as removing an expansion slot cover next to the front side of the card. Can you take a pic of the interior of the case and attach it with a post? Please don't link the pic. Attach it directly to the post using the forum "Go Advanced" button.

Is the GPU overclocked? You might try removing the heat sink and applying some good quality TIM. I've seen some improvement in temps doing that. Also, cleaning up the case with regard to wires and cables obstructing air flow can really help, as well as removing an expansion slot cover next to the front side of the card. Can you take a pic of the interior of the case and attach it with a post? Please don't link the pic. Attach it directly to the post using the forum "Go Advanced" button.

No, the GPU is not overclocked. Here are the pics:

Attachments

• 3307resized.jpg
    3307resized.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_3308.JPG
    IMG_3308.JPG
    499.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_3310.JPG
    IMG_3310.JPG
    680.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Looks like to me you could clean this rats nest of cables up in this area at least and then remove the expansion slot over next to the video card to allow that front panel fan to move air past that card and out the back better.

Attachments

• wire mess.JPG
    wire mess.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 157
Yes, behind the motherboard if there is any space for it to the inside of the right case panel.

Back