• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 6300 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

We all know that AMD lacks the single core performance that you get with Intel. With that said, when I go to overclock my CPU with my system ready, do you think I should take two of the cores to a higher clock than the other four? Would this help with single/dual core performance in gaming or other tasks?

Newer games will benefit more from the cores than the extra couple hundred MHz you'll get.

We all know that AMD lacks the single core performance that you get with Intel. With that said, when I go to overclock my CPU with my system ready, do you think I should take two of the cores to a higher clock than the other four? Would this help with single/dual core performance in gaming or other tasks?

I've got my 6300 down to 3 cores. I run 4.85Ghz daily.

Now, I don't play games that need more than 2 cores so YMMV

For what its worth I have read lots of threads where people disable cores, modules etc... trying for better overclocks and it never helps fps in any games. Honestly I think when you buy a 6 or 8 core cpu you are better off using it as such.

I personally would rather run a lower Oc then start shutting off cores but it also depends on usage. I'm running a Fx 6300 as we speak right now at 4.6 Ghz and do not have any issues with heat and or performance. Taking into account I'm on a custom loop and only play games that are Gpu intensive.

Well I will try running less cores and running some faster, then run some ingame benchmarks. I'll let you guys know sometime in the future

Almost every recent game is going to utilize four out more cores, in which case cutting down would hurt performance.

Well, currently running at 1360x768 with the FX 6300 and GTX 970. I havent found a game that won't run at 60fps maxed out.

Gtx 970 Twin Frozr
Fx 6300 4.3ghz @ 1.3v
G.Skill Ripjaws (gen 1) @ 1600mhz
EVGA NEX750B Psu
212 Evo Cpu cooler
Msi 970 Gaming Mobo
Corsair Spec 03

Can you post a screenshot showing the full HWMonitor window after 20 minutes of Prime95?

I turned it off at 33min. Got to around 58.6C no errors or warnings.

Last edited:
Back