• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade a UPS battery backup (help)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kurama

i moved recently, to a small town that has more brownouts and small outages than id like,
so i ended up grabbing a couple cyberpower GX1325u
a 1325VA 810Watt battery backup unit

now in about 6 days time, i will be making my way back into las vegas to pickup a friend from the airport, and will have the chance to return the 2 backup units,
IF you guys find a better method for me.
just sayin, that is a possibility.

i tested this unit with just my screen and pc whilst watching a movie
the load came in about 230w
and the backup time was right at ten minutes

i went ahead and connected the roommates desktop pc and one screen to the unit as well and it was totallying 570Watts Max with both pc's running killingfloor 2

but that would mean i think, roughly 2-3 whole minutes :rain: of battery backup time. WOO :(

ive been looking up if its feasible to jack in a large battery in the place of the pos and neg connections of the ups unit
(assuming you maintain the proper voltage 6v /12v / 24v)

issues that i can think of,
depending on the battery and charging type, will i fry the unit and or battery?
depending on the unit, what is the duty cycle time >? will the unit fry itself if running for longer than that ten minutes that it was designed for ?
depending on the unit, is there a program lock that forces the unit to shutdown after a set period, thus rendering higher battery capacity useless?

thanks in advance for anyone with constructive help :salute:

danmit, i think i stuck this thread in the wrong category

Back