• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x 4TB Seagate SSHD in RAID 1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davidst95

Hi, if I 2x 4TB Seagate SSHD in RAID 1 will I loose the speed enhancements these drives provide? Also does it make sense to use these for a non OS drive Thanks.

David

Last edited:
RAID1 is just writing same data to both HDs at the same time (mirrored set) Speed is the same as a single drive. That's what I use my RAID1 volumes for.

Hi, if I 2x 4TB Seagate SSHD in RAID 1 will I loose the speed enhancements these drives provide? Also does it make sense to use these for a non OS drive Thanks.

David

Hi there.

The general opinion is that RAID 1 could potentially speed up read operations if split seeks are enabled.

Other than that, RAID 1 Reads should be the same as for a single disk since there will be times when each drive in the pair can be servicing a different request at the same time, and RAID 1 Writes are just a little bit slower compared to a single drive because the data has to be written on two drives instead of one.

As for the enhancements of the hybrid drive, since it only has a certain amount of fast storage (cache) for commonly accessed files that are accessed at SSD speeds, you may have faster speeds for the programs stored there while the rest are accessed at standard HDD speeds. The cons here is that you have no control over what the SSHD stores in its cache - the drive uses a built-in algorithm to determine which frequently used files it will cache.

Hope this helps.

Cheers! :)

Back