• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

White Screen After GPU Install (MSI GT780DXR)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kylejohns

Hello, I have an MSI GT780DXR laptop, they have the Nvidia GTX 570M installed from factory but the guy I bought this laptop from installed the GTX470M for whatever reason.

How do I install the GTX570M back into laptop? He said it needs to be flashed in order for it to work. Otherwise if I install it, the laptop just shows a white screen on boot and does not recognize the GPU.

I've tried calling a few places around where I live and they said it's too risky for them to install and flash for me so now I'm on my own.

I was reading around and someone was mentioning a possible "Blind Flash" might be needed? Not sure.

Any general advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

Sounds like the laptop needs a BIOS flash to work properly.

Go to the manufacturer's site, download the BIOS, and look in the manual (usually on the manufacturer's site) as to how you should flash the BIOS for that laptop.

I'm kind of thinking he needs to install the 570m driver, then swap the 570m in.

I'm kind of thinking he needs to install the 570m driver, then swap the 570m in.
If it shows a white screen before Windows loads, it can't be a driver issue. The board probably needs a BIOS flash, as ATM said.

I only see two bios for that, one for raid only and one for nonraid only.
are you running raid?
what bios in installed?

are you running raid?
what bios in installed?

It seems like you're talking about settings within the BIOS instead of the BIOS itself

Okay, I figured out the card had be previously flashed with the wrong bios bricking it.

That's what was causing the white screen on boot.

So is my only option to blind flash with a bootable USB or is there another way?

it sounds like the cardbios that he is talking about being the issue.

for his laptop there are two bios options, one for raid only, bios 30H, one for nonraid only, 10H

are you running raid?
what bios in installed?

I'm running non-raid.

Was the GPU or the laptop the one flashed with the wrong BIOS?

Pretty sure it was the GPU flashed with the wrong (vBIOS?).

Sorry if I sound like a noob right now, I am new to BIOS modifications and never tried flashing anything but I have done a quite a bit of research. I appreciate everyone's input right now.

To be able to flash the GPU BIOS you'll need to be booted up. We may even have to go as far as an automated script to flash the BIOS onto the GPU if we can even get that far.
Do you know how to make a bootable DOS disk?

Yes, I have done all of that. Made an auto executing .bat file for my .rom and tested it with my working GPU by removing the .rom and booting from the USB.
It works, just not when I'm trying to flash the bad GPU with the .rom on the USB.

The command on my autoexec.bat is "nvflash -4 -5 -6 570m(that's what I named my .rom file).rom and still showing the white screen.

I have even when as far as blindly typing out nvflash --protectoff, nvflash 570m.rom with no auto executing .bat file to see if it worked within the background in command prompt with the white screen but nothing happens that I can tell.

Maybe im typing the wrong command in my .bat file or would you think this GPU is completely bricked and useless?

Very frustrating. Thought for sure I'd get it working by now..

I'm wondering if I should just save myself the headache and buy a better mobile GPU than the gtx570m and install it on this thing. I could prob sell the two I already have.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if I should just save myself the headache and buy a better mobile GPU than the gtx570m and install it on this thing. I could prob sell the two I already have.
Just make sure they are compatible with your laptop before you buy one. ;)

Seems like that GPU is bricked, yes.
Command looks correct to me, that's how I typically type mine out.

I am in the process of assisting a freind who has this same unit upgrade his gpu, an MSI 770M 3GB is a direct drop in and will use the 570 heatsink, with a heatsink mod you can also drop a 970M, I realize the thread is old hoping others may be upgrading this notebook as I will have questions lol

Back