• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Z97 Killer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

I've ordered this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

to replace my current GA-Z87X-UD3H which is a ruggedly-built board but has lots of bios issues that Gigabyte seems uninterested in addressing since it's not a current product from a chipset generation perspective. Or maybe it had lots of problems they just couldn't resolve. There was only one version of the board produced so it makes me wonder about that.

Some have knocked the build quality of the ASRock Z97 Killer: thin PCB, sharp, pokey solder points. Anybody got this board? What is your experience with it. The reviews, even the ones knocking the build quality all express approval of it from a function standpoint. For under $100 after rebate I can stand a few sharp solder points.

Good board if you are on ambient cooling! Otherwise, its a joke for sub-ambient because of its 2.3v input voltage limit and 1.8v vcore limit that choked me out at Witchy's...

No power/reset buttons on the board makes non case overclocking a bit annoying (screwdriver to short pins, yay!). But outside of that, I love the bios, and the preset o/c, particularly for LN2 (ironic ehh?).

BUT, I think he ordered the other board already... :)

Good board if you are on ambient cooling! Otherwise, its a joke for sub-ambient because of its 2.3v input voltage limit and 1.8v vcore limit that choked me out at Witchy's...

No power/reset buttons on the board makes non case overclocking a bit annoying (screwdriver to short pins, yay!). But outside of that, I love the bios, and the preset o/c, particularly for LN2 (ironic ehh?).

BUT, I think he ordered the other board already... :)
I didn't realize that was you're issue ED, with the Input voltage limit, yikes. Damn motherboard nannies wont even let you blow up perfectly running hardware. :p Though I do not think Mr T. is going sub ambient. No power buttons is quite annoying though.

I've got a case front panel switch w/wire lead I use for that when in the test bench phase. Robbed it from an old throw away computer. Those buttons on board are nice, though.

Back