• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prolimatech advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pdpcrepair

I recently sent an email to the support address from the Prolimatech Main website and it read as follows:

"I purchased a Megahalems several years ago for my socket 775 motherboard, and it worked amazingly on my Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, but now I have upgraded to an Intel i7 3770k, and I would like to move my Megahalems over. I have looked everywhere for an adapter such as this: http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=171&page=1# but i have been unable to locate any distributors that sell this package. I have found a similar item here: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...kplate_LGA_775_115x_1366.html?tl=c371s222b165 but it is very vague in the description and it says that it is for Armageddon cooler, and after several attempts, I have been unable to contact the support department by phone or e-mail. I need to know if the adapter in the second link, from FrozenCPU.com, is compatible with the Megahalems, and if not, I could really use some directions to a site that stocks the item that I require. Thank you for your time, and have a great day!"

I then received an email in response that read:

"We recently lost the contact of FrozenCPU, it might be risk for you to purchase things from FrozenCPU.
We could send you the Intel socket 1156/1155/1150 adapter kit (for Megahalmes) by registered airmail from Taiwan.
http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=171&page=1
Please pay USD 15 to our paypal account : [email protected]
USD 15 is for international shipping cost and 1156/1155/1150 adapter kit cost
And please offer us of your mailing address. It normally takes around 7 to 10 days shipping by registered airmail from Taiwan to foreign country."

I am not sure, but it seems a bit suspicious, to me, to just pay 15 USD to their paypal account. Someone please tell me if you have experience with Prolimatech Customer Support, and if this is a normal way of conducting business. I really want to get this adapter kit, but I dont want to get scammed.

I don't see why it's "suspicious" to pay a manufacturer for a part?

FrozenCPU shut its doors, that part is 100% true.

Isnt it a bit more orthodox to make a purchase instead of a payment though? I mean, if i am purchasing a part, i want to have a receipt that says what i paid for. Instead they seem to want me to just make a blind payment to their paypal. Say this was a fake site that i was redirected to, hypothetically, wouldnt that leave me open to them just taking my money and ending contact?

Send it through PayPal as "For goods or services" and put a note with the part name and a link to it.
Then, if you don't get tracking info or the product, you can open a PayPal case.

They'd have to have you purchase it this way though, as Prolimatech doesn't have an online store. They only have retailers.

Looks like they are giving you the part for free and going to pay the shipping from their paypal account, worst case is they use your address to send an elite fighting force to take all your computer stuff away :sn::rofl: best case you get the part in a week or so for less than you would of spent at FCPU if they were still open.

Thank you guys very much for the advice. I will go ahead with the payment. You guys are the best, and hopefully i can provide some assistance on here for someone in the future as well. My customer support skills are lacking but i make up for it in technical knowledge of computer hardware and software, so i am sure i can be of use to someone else someday. Have a great day all!!!

That's not uncommon for a manufacturer to direct you to their paypal address for payment to receive replacement parts.

I had a similar thing happen to me last year when some of the mounting hardware for one of my heatsinks was lost and I contacted Phanteks about it. They sent me an invoice via PayPal and asked me to pay through there to receive the replacement parts I needed, since the warranty was expired/void.

Thank you guys very much for the advice. I will go ahead with the payment. You guys are the best, and hopefully i can provide some assistance on here for someone in the future as well. My customer support skills are lacking but i make up for it in technical knowledge of computer hardware and software, so i am sure i can be of use to someone else someday. Have a great day all!!!

Anytime, just be sure to take pictures of the elite fighting force if worst comes to worst :clap:

The Prolimatech mounting kit is like Noctua's -- the same for all their CPU heatsinks. I have the Megahalems, the Armageddon and the Genesis, so I have had my hands on all of them.

I think when you get your replacement part, you will see that only the hole placement has changed. If you work at it, you can probably use a drill press or milling machine to extend your holes.

Or not. $15 is not a large sum to extend to make the Mega your heatsink again.

Back