• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Head scratching [Solved-sort of]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

So I've got this MSI micro atx H81 chipset motherboard that when I insert a certain PCI-e video card into the PCI-e slot I get no video. Computer boots into Windows fine. If I move the vga cord over to the onboard video I get a picture, even with the PCIie video card still in the slot. With any other video card in this board I get video from the card and when I insert the card in question into another motherboard it works fine. It's as though the MSI H81 motehrboard isn't detecting the card. Any ideas what's going on? The card in question is an Nvidia GT 620 with 1 gb of DDR3.

Last edited:
have you tried the video settings in bios?

OR

The board just don't like that video card. it happens.

I don't think there is an option in bios to disable the igp. I looked quickly already but I'll look again more carefully. It's a low end board so a lot of settings are being managed automatically.

AnimeMania, you mean in Windows?

Yeah, I know sometimes you run into these compatibility issues but I would still like to know more precisely why these things happen when in theory they should not.

If you can't see bios using the card, it isn't a winders issue....

If the board is automatic, that kind of sux. I know my Llano F1A75-v board has settings for IGP usage. something like option 1 = PCI-E IGP PCI and this order can be changed.

I looked again and there is no option to disable the IGP. The only option is to choose which one will be initialed, PEG or IGP. PEG is already chosen. Choosing IGP prevents any add on video card from being initialed.

I looked again and there is no option to disable the IGP. The only option is to choose which one will be initialed, PEG or IGP. PEG is already chosen. Choosing IGP prevents any add on video card from being initialed.

Did you upload latest BIOS from our official website already ?
What is the exact model references of your MB and VGAs ?

Latest bios is installed on the motherboard. Haven't checked about the card's firmware, though.

If I had to take a guess at what is causing the issue I would say it is a vram incompatibility issue like we see sometimes with system RAM. HIgh Density vs. low density. That sort of thing.

When I research updating by flashing the card's bios I run into a lot of out of date stuff with files and tools that predate the card. There are gpu bios "tweakers" available but that's not really what I want to do. Seems like a lot of hassle.

When I research updating by flashing the card's bios I run into a lot of out of date stuff with files and tools that predate the card. There are gpu bios "tweakers" available but that's not really what I want to do. Seems like a lot of hassle.

It could be some incompatibility but that can be fixed. :)

CD, I don't think the bios has that option. Right now the motherboard in question is decommissioned as I've been busy frying bigger fish. Next time I fire that MSI mATX up I'll try and remember to check for that. I'm not sure but seems like that same video card worked in that same motherboard before. Funny thing is that video card also will not work in my new ASRock Z97 Killer board that came yesterday. The only motherboard it is working in is an old Asus AM3 one. I'm beginning to wonder if the card itself has become marginally viable.

it may be time for a new card then.
I'm not 100% up on secure boot but I have had it cause issues in the past with minor hardware changes.

Yeah, I mounted the board back onto my test bench and there is not option for Secure Boot.

- - - Updated - - -

It could be some incompatibility but that can be fixed. :)

H81M-P33

Nvidia GT620 with 1gb DDR3

Okay, some updates:
1. Disabling Secure Boot has no affect
2. The pattern I'm seeing is that the card will work in AMD-based boards but not Intel-based boards.

Im wondering if the memory on the card is failing, forcing the IGP to take over. AM3 has no igpu, so it would still force the card to operate. If the discrete card faults, wont the igpu take over?

When you go into windows, can you open your driver panel (hardware monitor) and look at your display adapters? I think that would answer a few questions as to if the card is even being read.

Last edited:
Im wondering if the memory on the card is failing, forcing the IGP to take over. AM3 has no igpu, so it would still force the card to operate. If the discrete card faults, wont the igpu take over?

As a matter of fact, when the Nvidia GT 620 is installed on the Intel boards, all of which have IGP support, the IGP is not disabled as you would think it would be. I can connect the monitor cable to onboard video port and get a picture with the card installed.

When you go into windows, can you open your driver panel (hardware monitor) and look at your display adapters? I think that would answer a few questions as to if the card is even being read.

I'll have to test this. Thanks for your suggestions.

I should also stress test the card on the AMD motherboard. If the vram is failing then I would think some stress testing would expose that.

One thing is apparent, for whatever reason, the card is not being recognized by any of the intel boards I have tried it in lately, though I'm sure it was formerly on at least one of those boards.

Last edited:
Back