• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4 failing, need some testing apps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

One of my p4s has suddenly started getting 50k points instead of the usual 200k on p8107. Something must be wrong with it, but the monitor shows it is working at full power, the freq app shows its working at the normal frequency of 2.2 ghz.

I have rebooted with no effect, including a complete shut down.

How can I run some tests of it to find out which element is not working fully. I tried downloading prine95 in linux but all that did was start up, occupy all the cpu power but with absolutely no display showing the progress, or if some cpus failed. I assume I can test the memory using memtest. Any other ways to check what is going on?

Last edited:
I know that I'm going to regret asking but: What is a p4? What is it that you need to test?

I know that I'm going to regret asking but: What is a p4? What is it that you need to test?

P4 = 4 Processor system. It was the greatest things since sliced bread for folding until they killed the -bigadv program.

That's why I'm confused. I thought those were referred to as 4P. To me, a P4 is a Pentium 4 and there is no room to discus one of those in this day and age. :)

Unfortunately, I am ill-equipped to assist you.

That's why I'm confused. I thought those were referred to as 4P. To me, a P4 is a Pentium 4 and there is no room to discus one of those in this day and age. :)

Unfortunately, I am ill-equipped to assist you.

Don, I about died laughing when I saw your post, when I read Orion456's post, I did not even think twice about what he meant when he said P4 :rofl:
Orion, I don't have any thing to test with other than System Monitor, it comes with Linux.

Couldn't you see what other users had for benches to see if yours are falling short? I mean Simple test would be Passmark, this might be too simple of a test and not accurate enough to determine what might be wrong. Just a thought.

Couldn't you see what other users had for benches to see if yours are falling short? I mean Simple test would be Passmark, this might be too simple of a test and not accurate enough to determine what might be wrong. Just a thought.

I know I am down by 75% compared to my other machines so something is wrong, the question is what? CPU? Memory? PowerSupply? Motherboard? I have no idea which one. The memory I will test using memtest, But with 4 cpus, all of them showing 100% processor use, it would see they are fine, but something isn't fine. There has to be testing software for linux.

I'm not sure how much support HWInfo has for multi proc systems, but it has some nice data collection abilities, might be something in there you can use to narrow it down some.

The only way I can think of testing the PSU is to remove 2 of the cpus and see if that resolves performance issues to where your system should be with 2 cpu at 100%. How long have you been using that PSU, I'm guessing it's been on 24/7 so power degradation is a good possibility. But I doubt you want to stop the crunching for any time. Granted the numbers say the faster you diagnose it the faster it can be resolved and the less reduced calculations you will have to endure, so removing some items might not be that big of a loss over the long run.

How to test all this without having to power down the system I don't think is possible. But software monitoring might be able to narrow the field down some.

I'm curious how this will get resolved, I'm looking at a getting into the folding a lil more seriously, seems like a good investment for a great cause. And I was looking at 4P parts, not nearly as expensive for older used equipment as I would of thought.

Back